Need Hard Camera Case Advice, Please!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by SummitPhotoNH, Oct 24, 2009.

1. SummitPhotoNH

SummitPhotoNH TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm an avid hiker and photographer, and combining the two is at times a challenge. Living and hiking in NH means dealing with a variety of elements and conditions, so when I hike with my gear I'm constantly worried that my camera will be exposed to moisture...or that it will get banged up if I take a fall. Plus, it's really tough to balance out my hiking gear and my camera gear in my bag.

I hike with an EMS Summit 5500 pack, which is huge - I keep a sleeping bag and other soft items in the bottom of the back, in the mid/center I keep my tent (a very small/skinny 3lb tent), some spare clothes stuffed in a dry sack, and my camera gear...which is usually in a cushioned lowepro case. I'm carrying a 5D Mark II body, a 50mm 1.2, a 24-70 wide zoom, and in its own carrying case a 70-200mm 2.8 tele. ...a few filters and thats it.

Hikes are multi day, 4 seasons, all kinds of terrain...

Ideally, I would love to find the perfect long and slender case to put in my backpack next to my tent...I don't believe that there is a properly made hiking bag/camera bag hybrid, so i really want a hard case to put in the bag...i found some by pelican, but nothing apealing in terms of dimensions. Does anyone have advice? Thanks!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pelican is usually the brand to look at...but they don't have every size you might want.

A quick Google search should turn up some hard case manufactueres there are plenty of them. Most can be bought with pick-apart foam so you can customize it to fit your gear. You might also consider a foam lined soft case. Probably easier and lighter to pack and the amount of foam will determine it's protective qualities.

Personally, I don't know if the extra size & weight of a hard case, would be worth the benefits here. Sure, you don't want to break your gear...but if you take a spill hard enough to damage it while in a foam padded pack...then a damaged camera may be the least of your worries.

Also, having your gear insured can take a lot of the worries out of traveling or high risk activities.

3. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would also choose Pelican as a first choice.

Zero Halliburton makes a wide range of cases, but they are terribly expensive.

Hope you find what you are looking for!