Need Help Choosing a New Lens...

andrrsgg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon Rebel T5i, and for the past year or so I've been using it with the normal kit lens (18-55mm IS STM Lens). I want to choose a new lens, but I'm having trouble finding the right one for my needs. I go hiking/backpacking a lot, so I want a lens that can take photos of subjects that are close to me (i.e. my family, etc), but can also take photos of animals and wildlife far away from me (say, there's a bear on the other side of a lake). So basically I need a lens with a large zoom range, but also has good image quality, equal to or better than the lens I already have. Any suggestions?

At the moment I'm stuck between:
-the Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
-and the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Macro OS

A comparison between these two would be great, or if anyone knows of a better lens that would suit my needs that'd be great.

Thanks! //

Very difficult to say. The big zooms are always a compromise on quality. With the Sigma you almost have a 14x zoom factor. Why not add a lens to your current lens? The whole idea behind a SLR system is the fact that you can change lenses to suit the shooting conditions. I would suggest a 70-200, or even a 75-300, in addition to your current lens. I had a 75-300 and it was terrible, but I'm sure canon has improved on this, or one of the 3rd party manufacturers (Sigma, or Tamron).

Very difficult to say. The big zooms are always a compromise on quality. With the Sigma you almost have a 14x zoom factor. Why not add a lens to your current lens? The whole idea behind a SLR system is the fact that you can change lenses to suit the shooting conditions. I would suggest a 70-200, or even a 75-300, in addition to your current lens. I had a 75-300 and it was terrible, but I'm sure canon has improved on this, or one of the 3rd party manufacturers (Sigma, or Tamron).
Thanks for the insight! The 70-200 was too expensive, so I did some research and I've decided on the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens. It's much cheaper and still has very good image quality..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back