Need help deciding on which camera - Yes again.

diiulio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this question gets asked a lot and I have been through the stickied post at the top for beginners and the 'read this before posting which camera' thread.

We have been shooting with a Canon S3 IS and it was a great camera while it lasted. Majority of pictures have been vacations and family with some sports mixed in. The shutter has siezed and no longer wants to open, I am not going to spend $150 or so to fix it.

We (fiance and I) would like to step up to a DSLR. With the research I have done I am looking at something like a Nikon D5000 or D80 (used), not willing to spend the money on a D90 even though I am sure it is a great camera well beyond our abilities.

We like to travel and enjoy taking landscape shots, activities going on, wildlife, candid shots of people, and I will be taking more mountain biking pictures hopefully this season (half low light in forested areas and half out in the open shots). We shot thousands of pictures with the S3 before it stopped working, we have been around the country a couple of times, numerous trips - Portland, Seattle, SF, LA, Cape Cod, North Carolina, Austin, NYC, Saratoga Springs, China, etc. We are getting married in the next couple of weeks and are planning on having a kid by the end of the year too. Plus, the better half loves to take tons of photos of our dogs sleeping, begging, jumping around, and being dogs.

I am not sure which lens would be best to fit our wide range of photos.

Also, I have no problem buying used or refurbished because I am trying to spend less than $700. Any and all opinions are appreciated. I won't be offended if you let me know of any camera's or lens you may have for sale too.

Thanks,
Jason

I realize the D40 is extremely capable, but I was not sure whether or not it would limit my lens choice based on the requirement of AF-S.

The lens I am considering are:
18-55 f/3.5-5.6
35 f/1.8
55-200 f/4-5.6
70-300 f/4-5.6

I am not sure about the 70-300 though.

I understand those lenses will work with the D40. I really would like to start off with one decent all around lens and then eventually as I progress get another lens. The future lenses are what I am thinking about.

Which of the list are going to be the best all around for us?

Is it not worth stepping up to a D5000 over the D40? Should I not bother getting a used D80?

Thanks so far for your help.
Jason

I think you should look toward a new camera. Interested at all in Canon's?

Canon XS with 18-55mm lens - $500
Canon 75-30mm - $130-$150
50mm F/1.8 - $89

That should cover basically everything you are looking for.

iirc Nikon makes 29 af-s lenses. If you also take into account the sigma and tamron lenses, you've actually got a huge selection of lenses that will auto focus.

They're all pretty good cameras. I was just suggesting the d40 to save you some money.

I understand those lenses will work with the D40. I really would like to start off with one decent all around lens and then eventually as I progress get another lens. The future lenses are what I am thinking about.

Which of the list are going to be the best all around for us?

Is it not worth stepping up to a D5000 over the D40? Should I not bother getting a used D80?

Thanks so far for your help.
Jason

If you are shooting in low light in the forest the 70-200F2.8 is the lens but that is way over your budget, non of the all round lenses will work in low light

No issues with Canon, except that I seem to read that majority of S3 camera owners have the shutter issue that I do and Canon will not fix it without charging the $150. My cousin bought the same camera because she like mine so much and it is just past a year and she is starting to have the same problem too. That isn't acceptable. I understand it is just one camera, but I am willing to try Nikon next.

Questions:
1. Buy a D40 or a D5000?

2. If you had one lens to choose (for my use) which one?
- so far one vote for 35 f/1.8
- and one vote for the out of my price range 70-200 f/2.8 (not going to happen right away, but hopefully will be lens #2)

3. How does the 35 f/1.8 compare to the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6?

1. The D5000 will give you much better ISO performance (main difference)

2. 35mm

3. The 35 mm is great and super sharp stepped down to about 2.2f. Foot zoom makes is a pretty versatile lens, but you lose the quasi wide angle zoom of the 18-55.

No issues with Canon, except that I seem to read that majority of S3 camera owners have the shutter issue that I do and Canon will not fix it without charging the $150. My cousin bought the same camera because she like mine so much and it is just past a year and she is starting to have the same problem too. That isn't acceptable. I understand it is just one camera, but I am willing to try Nikon next.

Questions:
1. Buy a D40 or a D5000? The D3000 or the D60 would work also

2. If you had one lens to choose (for my use) which one?
- so far one vote for 35 f/1.8
- and one vote for the out of my price range 70-200 f/2.8 (not going to happen right away, but hopefully will be lens #2) the AF-S 55-200 mm f/4-5.6 is a good deal for the money too.

3. How does the 35 f/1.8 compare to the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6?
It's faster (f/1.8) so it will work better in low light, but for sports it doesn't have any zoom so you'll have to crop deep into sports shots to get any subject scale.

If you're looking for a Canon, I'm selling my Rebel XTi and 17-85mm lens in my sig.

Most reactions

Back