Need help from computer wizards... Problem with keyboard...

Steph

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am not very good with computers and I seem to have a problem with my laptop. Before going to a computer forum where they use a completely diffferent language I hardly understand, I decided to ask the question here first. Please answer with plain English and if possible a step by step procedure if you know how to solve the problem.

I have a problem with the keyboard (not all the time but it seems to happen more and more often): I need to press each key for 1-2 seconds before the letters appear on the screen (I am typing this from another computer:)). This is what I have done/checked so far:

-Checked that the key filters were disabled
-Tried to update keyboard driver
-Uninstalled then re-installed the keyboard
-Ran Norton Antivirus 2006 (up-to-date)
-The keyboard DOES work in the BIOS (I think that is what it's called)

All of that failed and I did not find any virus. Also, I noticed that the CPU runs between 95 and 100% all the time even when just running the Task Manager!! The two main processes that seems to use the CPU are called 'System' and 'System idle processes', which don't mean a lot to me. Any idea/suggestions?

BTW, I use Windows XP.

So this is the keyboard that is part of the laptop, not an external one right?

First of all, the "system idle process" is simply the amount of spare processing time that the CPU has. 95% is good. While you are looking at the system info, what are the relative memory utilisations? Sounds like you could have a memory gobbler process... this will slow everything down. Typical culprits are network processes that cannot finf what they are looking for... try turning off all wireless and wired network connections and see if that makes a difference - if not, let me know and we'll look deeper...

Yes, the problem is with the keyboard that is part of the laptop. I'll try what you suggested tonight when I get back home. Thanks.

I would try disabling Norton and trying that. What service pack is your XP machine? If it's SP3 then there is a known conflict between it and Norton.

Plus Norton is resource hog at the best of times.

If the machine comes alive after disabling Norton, then you have a couple of choices, check the microsoft website for the latest patch linked to norton, or alternatively uninstall norton and use something like AVG Free

If the machine is still stuck in the mud after disabling Norton, it might be worth backing your stuff up, reformatting and reinstalling XP.

What service pack is your XP machine? If it's SP3 then there is a known conflict between it and Norton.

Sevice pack is SP2.

If the machine comes alive after disabling Norton, then you have a couple of choices, check the microsoft website for the latest patch linked to norton, or alternatively uninstall norton and use something like AVG Free

I'll try that as well.

If the machine is still stuck in the mud after disabling Norton, it might be worth backing your stuff up, reformatting and reinstalling XP.

I was afraid somebody was going to suggest that. Thanks anyway.

Sevice pack is SP2.

I'll try that as well.

I was afraid somebody was going to suggest that. Thanks anyway.

if your still having problems, I own a computer bizz www.hwguys.com I can remote to your PC and fix it for you :) for free since we members here

PM me or message me on MSN [email protected]

When was the last time you defrag'd the system? Although the above mentioned suggestions are probably your best bet, a drive that is fragmented can lead to these problems and more. Make sure you back up on a regular schedule just in case of events like this. Keep us posted on your progress.

Sorted!! I followed you advice and did the following:

-Killed some useless networking processes
-Uninstalled and re-installed Norton antivirus (I think that there was a problem with liveupdate, which was taking a lot of CPU processing time).
-Defragmented the hard disk

The keyboard now works fine and the computer is faster than it was before. Thanks a lot to all of you for your help.:D

Glad you got a result!!

Now all you need to do is move to a Mac and stop worrying about such things

............runs for cover as the war starts :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back