Need Help...Macro Lighting

RawHope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone - I'm new here and could use some advice. I want to get into macro photography and besides using natural daylight, would like to be able to keep shooting at night inside...flowers, fruit, etc. I know I need some kind of lighting but I have NO idea what to get. I just read a little online tonight about hot lights, strobes, etc. but still have no clue what to get and how much of it to get!

I don't want to spend a lot on lighting even though I know it's very important. I'm just starting and am on a major budget. At the same time though, whatever light I go with, I want to make sure I spend my money on something worth it that will help me produce great shots. I'm planning on buying a Nikon 105mm VR macro lens.

So...what do you suggest? Are my lighting needs different because I'm interested in macro??? And how many lights should I get? Umbrellas? What's really necessary to get started? My goal is to be able to shoot flowers similar to this...

Nov- 2, 2009 18 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I also don't have a lot of extra room in our house for big old lighting so something smaller that won't take up a ton of room would be better.

Hope someone can help. I got overwhelmed tonight by reading about the different lighting options online! Please simplify this for me as I'm just starting out.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Its easier if you keep all the lighting sources similar... to avoid WB issues. I've done many shots with simple Home Depot work lights. They don't give out as much light as strobes so you'll want to use a tripod.

Thanks for your advice. My husband said the same thing about worklights from HomeDepot. I just like the idea of getting "real" lighting made for photographers. I know that sounds goofy!! Still not sure what I'm gonna do.

Most reactions

Back