Need Help on Pricing (I know, another price thread)

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by TylerF, Mar 29, 2010.

1. TylerF

TylerF TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I just checked my e-mail and saw this:

Tyler,

Really dig the work man! Unfortunately for our next show we already have a photographer booked out. But for future shows and other things we would consider you. Whats your prices? And do you do any promo work like band group shots? We just went through some line up changes and will need new shots. Let me know!

I never really thought about charging. I don't feel like I'm good enough to charge. Maybe I'm being hard on myself?

2. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Standard questions: What is this? A band? So you'd be shooting during concerts or just promo when it's well-lit? Or group portrait-type shots for something like an album cover?

I would suggest doing this at an hourly rate or at least base a quote for the job on how much time you think it will take and then what you think an hourly rate should be. Don't short-sell yourself - they've contacted you because it seems they like your work.

That said, I'm running into the same issues trying to figure out how much to charge someone for my second wedding ...

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If it's a band wanting images for promotion, you should charge for usage of the images in addition to charging for your time and talent.

You'll be doing a commercial shoot which isn't priced like retail photography.

Here is a link to a pricing guide: http://asmp.org/links/32

4. j3designz

j3designz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

If you don't believe in yourself enough to charge for the time and talent of actuallly taking the photos, then you should not be a photographer. If you have talent and people interested in your services, then you should charge for that. Otherwise, people WILL take advantage of you.