Need help please, with this exposure.

One more question guys can I select that back window and bring the brightness down on it? I cant just paint back over it with the white color because I moved taking the second photo so the car's out of place. So can I just select that area and change the brightness level?

Thanks chris. I got this one.

2812209101_872e10e7c8.jpg

I just really liked the sunset and the car together. Maybe I can get a filter later on. Oh and I know the car is really dirty, I was actually there to capture the sunset but the car was there so I grabbed it too. :)

First off, I'm not one to critique, since I'm just starting. But the 1st thing my eye looked at in this picture was the blue lines in the road, then I went to the car.

One more question guys can I select that back window and bring the brightness down on it? I cant just paint back over it with the white color because I moved taking the second photo so the car's out of place. So can I just select that area and change the brightness level?

Sure.

Just duplicate the layer that has the back window, and use levels or curves to reduce the brightness of it until the window looks right. The rest will probably look bad, but we'll only be keeping the window. Then use the same technique you used for the sky to let just the window show. Just be aware that with a hard edge like that you'll need to use a smaller and harder brush. Experiment with brush size and hardness and you'll find something that looks good.

I would practice combining the two pix as explained above (practice & patients makes perfect) but the other option is to play with Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop (sometimes it needs a boost with brightness/contrast after).
I did this very quick with just the shadow/highlight on you metered sky shot, while the car is not a nice red like in the metered car shot, at least you can see it :)
2812838692424a4b65bfno4.jpg

of cause, you have to be careful with artifacting (um, artifacts are unwanted pixelisation, usually around contrasting colours and usually show up when lighting dark shadows, well, sort of - hard to explain :blushing:), it really depends on the original on how light you can go, as you can see, it didn't really effect your lovely sky.

Thats ok, I'm extremely new at photography, but I've played with photoshop for awhile :)

Most reactions

Back