Need Help: Rolling Shots

It's very good to have a goal (car photography) but it doesn't mean you can skip the basics and your questions show that you have very little understanding of those. I would suggest that you start with the ABCs unless you just want to luck out once in a while shooting in P&S style.

As for the doctoring, I agree that some look that way but I'm wondering what it is that makes people think so. My man problem is the 4th one in which the reflection on the side of the car does not seem to match the area... In the 3rd, you can see the double yellow line but in the 4th, no double yellow line and there seems to be a safety rail which is not there in reality...

TBH those are not so hot that I'm going to spend much time analyzing :)

i'll be testing and trying a lot this week since its thanksgiving break. i know learn the basics, but i want to do some good photography for my room-mates cars, so thats why I'm asking

here's my attempt at a rolling shot today while standing on the side..didnt have another car to ride in..i know its bad cause the rears cut off and what not..but it was just an attempt till i can get in another car

DSC00283.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

You might want to use a wider lens and later crop the image to your desired composition.

Also, I find that when standing track side, it's easier if you stand farther back. The car's focus will be easier to maintain. And last, remember to keep tracking the car even after you've taken your shots.

Like the others said, the pictures you've shown initially are PS and could have been taken at a stand still.

use a slower shutter speed to get more background motion blur. Makes it look better usually! Are you using a tripod with a panning head? Lots easier that way! I usually try to lock the side mirror in the center focus spot and keep it there as a guide...

If you are farther away from the vehicle.. it is easier to shoot pans. as you will have greater DOF, and they are much easier to track as you need less camera movement (pan) to get the shot.

Unfortunately I left the tripod at school. Just holding the camera by hand and taking the picture as the cars moving..it was a first attempt, I know it's not that great. Ill attempting again later-most likely tomorrow hopefully..if It doesn't rain..

Oh ya and I don't own a wide angle lens =[ only got the 18-70mm, 28-100, and 70-210mm lens =[

from my understanding you shouldn't post photos that others have done without their permission.

anyway the 18-70 is wide enough on the 18 end. i have done shots like those with a few friends on the highway. we were going at around 85 and i set my exposure time at 1/20 or 1/30

Quick question, I read a few post back that my posted pictures were "doctored" or "PS" -photoshopped? how do you do that? like make the wheels look like they're spinning and all the blur in the background like that? that's some really good ps!

if someone start charging you for answering each question you ask, that person would be pretty rich.

those blurs in the photos you posted are not necessarily photoshopped. they were shot in a moving car and the both cars are moving at similar speed. the shutter speed is slow but not so slow that the car becomes blurry due to movement. i think these photos are sharpened and the colours are tweaked in photoshop.

Last edited:
thanks for answering the question directly...but your first comment isn't necessary. this is what the forum is for, for people to ask questions and get help..i'm new to photography so i will have a lot of questions..

It is great that you have the enthusiasm to learn about different photo techniques, and aren't afraid to ask questions. However, you can polish a turd but it will still be a turd. What I mean to say is why go through all the trouble to photograph a economy car? Sorry for being an asshole, but that is my honest opinion.

Omofo said:
It is great that you have the enthusiasm to learn about different photo techniques, and aren't afraid to ask questions. However, you can polish a turd but it will still be a turd. What I mean to say is why go through all the trouble to photograph a economy car? Sorry for being an asshole, but that is my honest opinion.

No worries, opinions are welcomed. But there are car enthusiasts that can't afford fancy cars. And IMO any car is worthy to be photographed if it is treated properly, not just those 6 figure super cars. I happens to be an 8th civic car enthusiast. So that's why I do it. And why I'm learning

And its not easy to get a super expensive car to photograph. So while I have my car and modded to my liking, its my easiest subject to take pictures of and experiment with. It's like saying, why take photos of a dog when its just a dog and theres a billion more like that. Or a flower, or anything else. Simply put, the rarity of a car does not determine whether its worth shooting or not.

Last edited:
Omofo said:

No worries, opinions are welcomed. But there are car enthusiasts that can't afford fancy cars. And IMO any car is worthy to be photographed if it is treated properly, not just those 6 figure super cars. I happens to be an 8th civic car enthusiast. So that's why I do it. And why I'm learning

And its not easy to get a super expensive car to photograph. So while I have my car and modded to my liking, its my easiest subject to take pictures of and experiment with. It's like saying, why take photos of a dog when its just a dog and theres a billion more like that. Or a flower, or anything else. Simply put, the rarity of a car does not determine whether its worth shooting or not.

I suppose it also depends on what your plans are for the finished product. When it comes to practice you are right, car rarity has no bearing. I wouldn't take photos of a chihuahua, but an Alaskan Malamute or boxer is another story. Same goes with flowers. People love my pictures of orchids, but skim right past a photo of a daisy.

This may have been mentioned, sitting on the side of the road while the car passes is another great way to get rolling shots and often easier. Stand on the side of a busy street and practice on the passing cars. Keep practicing and you'll get the look your seeking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back