Need Help Setting Up Canon MARK III 5D For Macro Jewelry.

yeah thats what im trying to learn right now, before i relied on photoshop with the lighting but its time consuming. Now i want to create like an assembly line with my photos. have everything correctly setup so there is hardly any future upgrades or things needed to be changed

sweet, Last question. Is there an option to keep these speedlights/ flash on constant, or they only work as a flash? because from the picture it looks like they can be set to constant light
You really aren't understanding flash here.
Flash puts out every possible watt of it's power in one burst that is somewhere from about 1/2000th of a second to about 1/35000th of a second. It is equal to roughly somewhere between 25 to 100 bulbs at 100W all on at one time. So, no. They do not put that much light out and just stay on. You'd have a fire in no time flat.

Put 25each 100W regular bulbs on ONE side of your light tent and that would be equal to placing ONE speedlite flash firing at roughly 1/128 power. That's less than 1% of the light it is capable of.
Put 200 of those bulbs in that exact same place and that would be roughly one speedlite firing at full power.

do these flashes connect to the camera or something because how do they know when to go on for that split second when my shutter blades are open?

I am pretty sure back on the first page I said you would need a trigger/receiver set or a decent length cord for them.

yeah you did but i dont understand how im going to push 3 remotes at the same time. 2 remotes for the speedlight and 1 remote for the shutter on the cam. to press all 3 at the same time is not easy and most of all a pain in the ass. is there such a thing that has 1 button for all 3 tasks?

The trigger goes on the hot shoe of the camera. The receiver goes on the speedlite. The camera fires, the flashes fire simultaneously.
The cord plugs in to the synch port of the camera and to the flash... fires the flash simultaneously.

You can't be that obtuse.

thanks. understood.

What else would i need for this setup to work. i understand i need also a receiver for the lights and the lights itself but is there anything else?

something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSSyfrM6Qt4

Last edited:
Here... let me spell this out in ONE post and pretty plain English.

2 Speedlite FLASHES
Light tent
Radio Trigger
Radio receiver

5D MarkIII just for jewelry photography is like hunting squirrels with an AK-47.

Well, if it pays the bills why not? Although it is a bit weird, studio isn't one of the strongest points of the 5D III, D800 on the other hand...

Most reactions

Back