NEED HELP - What is a Print Whiste???

jkcat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I there, just a newbie to the site, but already have a rather challenging question!
Does anyone know what a Print Whistle is??? I suggested to my photograpy instructor if it has anything to do with the old steam-powered film developers and he said I was sort of on the right track, but still not correct.
Apparently it is an old term (hence why I have put this query in the Film section of the forum - as film has been around awhile!).
I am tearing my hair out trying to find out what a Print Whistle is but to date, can't figure it out.
I am really hoping someone here will know! Thanks, J :D

oh - and its a legit term - my instructor isn't trying to trick me!

I have never heard of it. And I can't find anything when I search for it.

Where did you hear of it? If it was your teacher that told you about it, maybe he really is just having a bit of fun with you. If he doesn't know what it is, then he probably shouldn't be throwing terms like that around. If he can't tell you what it is, then don't fret over it.

thanks for doing a bit of research.

my instructor is not playing any tricks. he's legit. He has been a photographer for 48 years, so he knows what he is talking about.

he puts this question to the students each year, when the new courses start. So far, only two students since 1987 has given an accurate answer. The students finally get told what it is at the end of the course - and I have asked some of them but they won't reveal it.

when i mentioned maybe something about old steam-powered film developers, he said i was getting warmer. He has said that its a very old term, and certainly not used these days, which is why it is probably hard to figure this one out. :D

i have been working with photography for almost 63 *started young*, never heard that phase.

i notice your from AUstralia, i wonder if that is a culture term? also, what are old steam-powered film developers. that is a new one for me.
which is what leads me to think we may know, but language terms are not helping.
I am in the US, so that may be the problem for assisting you.

I there, just a newbie to the site, but already have a rather challenging question!
Does anyone know what a Print Whistle is??? I suggested to my photograpy instructor if it has anything to do with the old steam-powered film developers and he said I was sort of on the right track, but still not correct.
Apparently it is an old term (hence why I have put this query in the Film section of the forum - as film has been around awhile!).
I am tearing my hair out trying to find out what a Print Whistle is but to date, can't figure it out.
I am really hoping someone here will know! Thanks, J :D

oh - and its a legit term - my instructor isn't trying to trick me!

When removing a B&W print from the developer and placing it in the stop bath, sometimes small bubbles will form from the chemical reaction of acid (stop bath) and alkali (developer) and 'whistle' as they form.

Last edited:
interesting, never ever heard that term altho the sounds is very familar.

When removing a B&W print from the developer and placing it in the stop bath, sometimes small bubbles will form from the chemical reaction of acid (stop bath) and alkali (developer) and 'whistle' as they form.

Interesting.... I know what your talking about but I've never had anyone use that term...

loved the whistles *the real ones*

A print "whiste"? Doth the intructhor thpeak wiff a lithp?

woops! that's embarrassing!! no, he doesn't speak with a lisp - I think that's just me!

thanks for the insight on the mysterious Print Whistle! It makes a whole lot of sense, once you know what it is.

What a wealth of knowledge there is on this site! :D:thumbup:

So, I passed on the Print Whislte answer to my instructors, and they inform me that it doesn't have anything to do with chemicals being mixed - but it DOES have something to do with bubbles!!
Now I am even more confused.
Any ideas????

:lol:

This is interesting... (And, no - I have no clue what it could be.)

Bubbles, but not from a chemical reaction. That means heat (steam). What could possibly cause that while making prints? :scratch:

:lol:

This is interesting... (And, no - I have no clue what it could be.)

Bubbles, but not from a chemical reaction. That means heat (steam). What could possibly cause that while making prints? :scratch:

SO......the original answer regarding a chemical reaction was correct! the instructor that told me i was wrong, had no idea, and the originator of the challenge confirmed it is indeed a chemical reaction. SO THANKYOU TO ALL THOSE VERY SMART PEOPLE OUT THERE!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back