Need help with baseball photography...

right then lads.... well I'm off to the pub...

I agree with the whitehouse analogy too! Good analogy.

Now with that said. I like your shots a lot if it means anything at this point. Got any phillies shots...lol

Might have been a little much to say in a "easy big fella" way but in this case....its actually something that needs to be said. Even though I'd actually consider buying some of these shots just as far as composition is concerned I'd be HIGHLY worried about getting nailed. Might take some time but be careful...dont sell them on a website or advertise really...maybe say here's some cool shots

Not to mention the fact that there's at least 10k worth of camera equipment behind the batters that are being paid to take the shots and he's selling them.

Doesn't see that fair. Shoot away just don't sell IMHO.

I'd tend to agree on this point. I love going to games, love getting great shots, but the contracts that the players' unions and MLB in general have in place makes me feel like selling these shots is a lot like recording a live concert and then selling copies of the CDs

I was not saying MLB would sue us for giving advice on a lens. I would reccomend at least 200mm and 2.8. I was saying they would sue the op for selling copyrighted material. This would apply to anyone here who plans on selling material that is copyrighted by anyone especially an organization with pockets as deep as the ones mentined.

Although giving advice can land you in a heap of legal trouble just depends on the subject matter but thats for a different forum all together.

But you see he's already doing it so I think that would mean he has some kind of angle that makes it possible to do without getting in trouble yet. I think this would be a good reasn to drop it now and not relly bring it up in the first place.

Drug dealers get by for years before they get caught if they even do, would you suggest someone go into the drug dealing profession? It just takes one mistep to get into trouble.

It appeared to me that the OP was not aware selling these photos was illegal that is why I brought up the issue. If the OP was to ge caught "I didn't know" is not a legal defense. I was simply giving food for thought.

Give me one reason that a person should not be informed they are doing something illegal.

As far as hijacking this thread I apologize

But if the OP submitted the photo to the player and said player liked it, signed a release, wouldn't all be okay? Granted, it would have to pass approval from his agent, the team and then from the league.

So, in reality, it ain't gonna happen. Perhaps in the Minors you could work it, but not in the Majors, methinks.

I still don't know how he was able to get that shot with 68mm. Makes me want a sony.

From what I can find it seems the crop on that sensor is 2.5 giving a croped equivalent to a 158mm lens on a 35mm bocy.

All I an say is go SONY. What was the lense you were using that allowed you to get a shot like this @ 63mm?

Thats actually the problem. There is not much you can do. You camera uses a sensor that is much smaller than that of a SLR, So it cannot achieve the shallow DOF of larger formats, Also all of those shots were already at you max aperture of 4.4, so you can't really get any more shallow than it is.

The only answer is to buy an SLR and spend a lot on glass.

From what I can find it seems the crop on that sensor is 2.5 giving a croped equivalent to a 158mm lens on a 35mm bocy.

Its not a 2.5 crop factor, its a 1/2.5" sensor size, its some stupid measurement system that doesnt, make any sense. Its actually a 6x crop factor. 380mm equiv. so a really small sensor, witch is the source of the problem.

As to the OP, don't use digital zoom, all your camera does is crop and enlarge, its better just to do that in post.

Its not a 2.5 crop factor, its a 1/2.5" sensor size, its some stupid measurement system that doesnt, make any sense. Its actually a 6x crop factor. 380mm equiv. so a really small sensor, witch is the source of the problem.

As to the OP, don't use digital zoom, all your camera does is crop and enlarge, its better just to do that in post.

Wow Now that is a crop factor.

Do you have any pics of John Maine from the mets? I played against him in the past and would love a nice photo. PM me if you think you might have one.

Do you have any pics of John Maine from the mets? I played against him in the past and would love a nice photo. PM me if you think you might have one.

Not yet being that he never pitched when the Mets were in Atlanta this year, but I hope to get soon when the Mets come back

Hey again guys. I gave it a try with editing the picture to add blur to it. Here is a pic that I took yesterday, and I took about 5-10 minutes carefully blurring out the background, going slow around the edges so I don't blur the player out too. Let me know what you think:

DSC007592_filteredblur.jpg

Most reactions

Back