need help with layers

jnsuffolk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I"m trying to make a new 4x6 white background then I want to put another 4x6 photo on top of it. There is much more I'm doing with its but This is the part I need help with. The problem is although ps says they are both 4x6 when I drag and drop the photo onto the white background they are different sizes. Any help would be great

Joe

Different sizes indicates to me that the resolutions are different, if both res are the same then the pic size is the same so alter resolution.

If I understand Harry correctly, you would check the resolution of the file you'd like to put on a white background. Note what that is.

Then in File>New, when you create your file for the white background, set its resolution to the same as the file you'll be inserting over the background, and set the size to what you'd like.

I often do this for creating a new background border for a photo.

After creating the new file, I press command (pc: control) + J to duplicate the background layer. Then I "select" that layer by holding command (pc: control) and clicking on that layer's thumbnail.

I then go to the image I'd like copied. I'll often have a many layered psd file, which I then merge up to a new layer at the top. Command click (ctrl click) to select that layer. Command + C to copy.

Go to that new file with the selected white layer. Hold Shift+Command (ctrl) + press V to Paste Into. A new layer is created with my copied image, and it has a layer mask. I then drag the superfluous white layer to the trash.

So now I have a new file with a white background and my copied image in a layer above it. That image layer can be "Transformed" if you'd like white to show around it, giving it a border. Or that white layer is there for whatever you'd had in mind.

Okay, has that been confusing enough? :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back