Need help with lenses.

SquirrelNuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I thought I had a great handle on lenses, but the more research I did, it seems the less I knew.

The camera in question is a Nikon N80. I bought it brand new from Adorama and I love the camera. I bought it as a package with a cheapo "G" series lens that I am not very happy with. I want to move up to the "D" series. I would really like to get a macro lens, and I found a 105mm f/2.8 that I am in love with. I also want to get a wide angle to telephoto (something along the lines of 20ish to 100ish) and a telephoto lens like 80 to 300 or so. So I basically want three lenses past the cheapo one I already own.

I would like to buy a macro lens first, because I love macro photography, but I have a problem. I have an opportunity to make some extra money doing portraits. Can I do portraits with a 105mm f/2.8 macro lens? Nikon's website suggests that it can be done. I would be setting up a mini-studio with a tripod. Should I just get another cheaper lens to start with and then buy the macro with the money I make?

I would really like to use the macro for portraits as well, but if it cannot be done, what would be a suggested lens to buy? I am not opposed to fixed focal length, as apparently, they are better.

Also, all the lenses I want have different filter diameters...should I get a cokin system?

-SquirrelNuts

The 105mm is an excellent focal length for portraits, but I hope your clients are good with makeup. A good macro will show every flaw on a persons face and clothing including facial hair, pimples etc. If you are going to shoot macro and your portraits then get a macro and buy a diffusion filter for it for your portraits. If not that much macro, buy an 85 or 100mm portrait lens to use in your studio.

Most reactions

Back