Need lens help

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well as of now the longest lens I have is a 28-90mm f/4-5.6 and I plan on shooting some school sports so I need to get a new longer and better lens. My price limit is about $1,000 and since ill be shooting sports I need about a f/2.8 or something with IS. Right now I have the canon 70-200mm f/4.0L, 70-200mm f/2.8L, or the 200mm f/2.8L in mind. The only thing is the 70-200mm f/2.8 is a little out of my price range, the 70-200mm f/4.0 is kind of slow and I wont be able to move around a lot so I don't want the 200mm f/2.8. Is there and tamron or sigma alternatives I can buy? Or maybe a cheaper canon lens that can do what I want?

I know used 80-200 2.8 in Nikon can be had for $6-800 or so. Are used Canon lenses that much more expensive?

Image stabilizer is great, and it will help...but it steadies the lens, not the subject...so even though you can get sharper shots at slower shutter speeds...those slow speeds will cause the subjects to be blurry, if they are moving.

I would look at the 70-200 F2.8 (the IS version is out of your price range, unfortunately). As mentioned, maybe you can find this lens used.

Also, Sigma has a 70-200 F2.8 that should fit your budget.

I may just try and get my parents to co-sign on a loan so I can get the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS.

IS will do nothing for sports, just FYI.

Sigma 70-200 2.8 (no IS or anyhting but costs somewhere between the 70-200 4.0 L and the 70-200 2.8 L) I don't feel like specifically researching, but my guess is somewhere in the $800 or $900 ballpark.

IS will do nothing for sports, just FYI.
It won't stop blur from subject movement...but it will still help to prevent blur from camera shake...which may be a factor if you are shooting at slower shutter speeds. Better to have it, than not...but for sports, it won't make up for not having a fast enough shutter speed.

At most events 'Togs that have big/heavy lenses usually mount them on tripods or monopods... just a note, when using either, disable IS or VR, it may add to the blur more than help remove it.

Yeah I'll be using a monopod. But this lens will also be used for wildlife shots as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back