Need some help picking a camera.

Dooley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I been shooting with a Canon powershot for quite some time and about 2 months ago my first powershot broke so I bought another one ( at the time I thought it was a great idea ) haha

now I realize I should have put that money towards something that would last a bit longer and give me better results....

Ive heard great things about the Nikon D80 and I dont think I can afford the D300, Im looking for something thats going to last me a while and be a good all around beginner (progressing to intermediate) camera....

Im not set on the D80 either, open to all suggestions!

Thanks and im lookin forward to posting in the forums!

Let the religious war begin! :lol:

D80 is a great starter cam. I highly recommend the kit with the 18-135 as a good flexible starter setup. (will run you about $1000 total) If you're pressed budget-wise the D60 and D40 are also "fine", but I generally recommend people avoid them if they can, as they do have some annoying limitations. (They're also MORE geared towards a transitioning point and shoot crowd and do a bit more handholding than the D80 will... that may be attractive to you, however. The D80 has the same features, it just kind of expects you know more of what you are doing.)

Canon has some excellent options as well (or so I am told) but I am a Nikon whore, so I know very little about them.

ive heard alot of reviews and good things about the D80, much like your reply !
noob question, does the D80 have the shoot button on the side for when you turn your camera sideways? ahah

I would also suggest the Canon EOS 40D- running about $1150 with the current rebate. I have it and it's great. If youre looking for the lower, grab either the Canon Revel XSI or the XTI. XSI is a step ahead the TI. I'm a little biased with Canon but what can I say.

I would also suggest the Canon EOS 40D- running about $1150 with the current rebate. I have it and it's great. If youre looking for the lower, grab either the Canon Revel XSI or the XTI. XSI is a step ahead the TI. I'm a little biased with Canon but what can I say.

xsi also has some advantages on the 40d....sorry I am new but opinionated.

I also recommend a D80.
I didn't start with a D80, and I don't have one, but it has an in-body AF motor, where as the D40 and D60 do not.

noob question, does the D80 have the shoot button on the side for when you turn your camera sideways? ahah

Nopers. I don't know if it will support the battery pack that has it, either. The D100/D200/D300 do. This doesn't mean it doesn't support it... only that I don't know if it does. :)

I also recommend a D80.
I didn't start with a D80, and I don't have one, but it has an in-body AF motor, where as the D40 and D60 do not.

Yeah that's one of the irritants on my list for the lesser bodies. I would almost rather buy a used D70S than a new D40 or D60. D70S was a great camera.

my xti has been through ALOT, iraq, sandstorms, travaling, etc..., i love it. the kit lens is not that bad, and tuns over good results with after market lenses. im looking to upgrade to a 5D, though the xti or xsi will make you realize your potential, very gratifing. just my opinion^^

Nopers. I don't know if it will support the battery pack that has it, either. The D100/D200/D300 do. This doesn't mean it doesn't support it... only that I don't know if it does. :)

Yeah that's one of the irritants on my list for the lesser bodies. I would almost rather buy a used D70S than a new D40 or D60. D70S was a great camera.

I just got my D60 1 1/2 MONTHS ago, and I'm already irritated as all hell that I cannot AF with this thing unless I am using an AF-S lens.
WTF was Nikon thinking?
Er...wait. Don't answer that, I already know.
But I still won't use any other camera (most likely) than a Nikon. But that's just me.
I'm going with a D300 here within the next year or half year. Then my D60 will be converted to an IR camera, hopefully. I mean, that's what my husband wants to do with it. But I'm the one that has to do the research on IR photography and how it works with a modified camera.
Oh well! Small price to pay for a D300, imo!:lmao:

All you Canon people, just so you know I know NOTHING about Canon DSLRs, so, does the XTI and XSI have an in-body AF motor?
Is Nikon the only crazy company that does this to their customers???

An XT isn't a bad starter camera either. It has only 2 megapixels in RAW less than the XTi. I actually have two and have never thought I needed more. I normally only shoot in large JPEG and with "L" glass the pictures are very good. You can get a new XT and lens kit for under $500.00 and that leaves money for better glass, tripod, flash, or whatever you like. Buy glass, not bodies.

All you Canon people, just so you know I know NOTHING about Canon DSLRs, so, does the XTI and XSI have an in-body AF motor?
Is Nikon the only crazy company that does this to their customers???

Both XSI, XTI or even XT do not have the in-body AF motor type problem like the D40, D40x and the D60.

My friend has the D60, it is not that bad. I like the interface and the screen. As far as the pictures goes, they all about the same as long as the lenses are good. (btw, I have the XTI)

As for which body to get, try them first and see if you like them. Some people do not like the smaller body such as the XT, XTI, XSI, D40 as well as the D60. No matter how good the camera is, if you just don't like the way it feel in your hands, don't get it.

But for me, I would rather spend the money now for a lower end body (of course, it need to feel good in my hands) and use the extra money to get a better lenses or get more lenses.

Correct me if I am wrong, good lens will last longer than the camera body. Another friend of mine upgrade his Canon 10D to 1Ds and still using the same lenes that he had.

if your looking at being able to use the camera in portrait
have a look at a Nikon D200 and grip, would be an excelent combo, that or a Canon 30/40D (depending onm budget) with a battery grip.

IMHO id go with the D200 (or D80 is you want brand new) or a Canon 30d or 40d

Both XSI, XTI or even XT do not have the in-body AF motor type problem like the D40, D40x and the D60.

My friend has the D60, it is not that bad. I like the interface and the screen. As far as the pictures goes, they all about the same as long as the lenses are good. (btw, I have the XTI)

As for which body to get, try them first and see if you like them. Some people do not like the smaller body such as the XT, XTI, XSI, D40 as well as the D60. No matter how good the camera is, if you just don't like the way it feel in your hands, don't get it.

But for me, I would rather spend the money now for a lower end body (of course, it need to feel good in my hands) and use the extra money to get a better lenses or get more lenses.

Correct me if I am wrong, good lens will last longer than the camera body. Another friend of mine upgrade his Canon 10D to 1Ds and still using the same lenes that he had.

But I want things like an in-body AF motor and better high ISO function.
I also want to be able to auto-bracket.
And if the D60 can easily auto-bracket, then please tell me where I can locate this info in my manual because I've looked and I cannot find it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back