Need some help with panorama

SpikeyJohnson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I took a Panorama from a beautiful view up here in Utah but even though the individual photos are the same exposure settings I can still see huge variations in exposure (which is expected with the sun in view). The issue is when PS stitches em together you can see HUGE differences and see the individual photos as if photoshop didn't blend the edges of the photos together. You can essentially see a darker blue next to a lighter blue even though no settings have been changed and the white balance between them all is the same. Does anyone know what issue I am running into?

I purposely think of this every time and plan against it. A polarizing filter might do it. But if the images overlap then it's probably a setting the camera is doing for you. Like if you were in Program mode or something. I try to shoot pano only in manual for this reason. And then I adjust color temperature in each image to the same setting before stitching the images together. But if the settings are not changing per your comment then Huh??

I do the same thing you do. I shot this in manual with the same settings and WB. It's funny because a panorama I took right before it in almost the same spot turned out fine. I have no idea why Photoshop isn't blending the images like the previous Pano. Almost the only difference between the two was one was shot as a super long landscape in landscape orientation and the one that messed up was a landscape pano in vertical orientation. It's really weird and is the first time I have encountered this issue.

This is a screenshot of my desktop with the two photos next to eachother for anyone to see. The left one looks fine and is finished but the one on the right is the issue one.

Attachments

• Issue.jpg
    Issue.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 194
IIRC, when you see all the individual frames in the layers pallet, it means that PS isn't 'finished' with the image yet. Is it possible that the program is hanging up due to file size?

It might be. I merged the layers before this and it still looked the same. It was a 2.8 GB file but I am running on quite a beast of a computer. I have done HDR Pano's with more "exposures" than this and it has been fine. Maybe I should try a save out and see what it does. I'll get back to you on that Tirediron

I now know it's my bedtime............ I read the title as "Need Some Help With Paranoia"

Night, all!

I saved the file as a jpeg and it is still looking the same way. I wonder if I maybe overlapped the images a little too much or too little for the panorama to be completed nicely. I looked at the resolution, 20230x6577, and then looked at all the fragments of the image and noticed there are atleast 15 images. With the output of the D7100 at 6000x4000 the resolution, if the images were right next to eachother, would be 90000 pixels long. Assuming that I overlap by 50% the image would have been 45000. So that would mean that this is a 78% overlap. Maybe if I cut out every other image it would be ok?

Edit: Night Snerd! :) Maybe tomorrow you'll be able to help! :p

That might help, I typically go for about 30% overlap, but regardless, it has an 'unfinished' look. I have had the odd pano that for no reason I can fathom, refused to process, but I've never seen quite that result.

I'll try that out and let you guys know how it looks. I haven't gone through and changed much other than trying to get them to stitch. It's funny because I'm so used to HDR, Panos, HDR Panos. I think it was probably just that though.

That did it! Thanks guys! Now to clone out some of the sun flares and get editing!

That did it! Thanks guys! Now to clone out some of the sun flares and get editing!

Be sure to clone in some rabbits.

And bacon.

Or better yet, some rabbits carrying bacon!

Of course, we need the rabbits and bacon!

I've recently been toying with the Brenizer method which is basically portraiture with a panorama type stitch. Doing this I've learned several things:

1.) Find another program because Photoshop generally sucks at stitching compared to a dedicated program.

2.) Light Room is your friend. By syncing the same lens profile settings to all your photos and exposure settings it tends to take care of differing exposures and vignetting between photos to make it easier for the stitching process to take place.
OK, I learned two things, but they're invaluable for this type of technique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back