Need some major help here guys.

navarroalexander1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm purchasing a film camera soon, and I have narrowed it down to two choices:

The Canon A1 and the Nikon FE.

I want to hear what you guys have to say about it, and which one I should look further into or even purchasing. Go! :D

You honestly cant go wrong with either one, Buy the one that fits your hand the best.

Is there any specific reason you want/need a manual focus camera?

I am taking an intro to black and white film photography class this Fall, and the requirements are a 35mm camera, manual focus, manual settings. I found that these two cameras are in plenty on ebay, and craigslist. And they generally run pretty cheap.

Have fun. This sounds like a great class. You are going to have a blast. Stuff like getting the film on the reels for the developing takes forever to get the hang of at first cause you are in the dark. You will get the knack soon enough.

Oh and don't use D76 if you can help it. See if you can get tmax developer if you are shooting tmax film.

I don't think you could go wrong with either camera but with the Canon you'd be able to find cheaper lenses. This comes with a catch though: The lenses are cheaper because Canon changed their mount in the late 80's so if you ever decide to buy a newer Canon body all your old/cheap lenses will be incompatible.

Either buy locally so you an inspect it or make sure you purchase it online from somewhere that offers a return policy. A lot of people find old cameras in their basement and try to sell them not realizing they're complete junk... and some realize they're completely junk but sell anyway...

In the mid 70's the Canon A1 was considered to be the 'bees knees'

Do you have any Nikon lenses already? If so, i'd go with the FE since you can use any non-G lenses you have already, plus you'd have more lens options, but if not, then either camera will do. FWIW, I have an FE and it's a pretty nice camera.

Nikon FE by bhop, on Flickr

In the mid 70's the Canon A1 was considered to be the 'bees knees'

Over here on the other side of the pond we didn't care so much for "bees knees." That is why the F2 and F2S, F2SB, F2A and F2AS were the top of the heap in "Professional" 35mm gear. Multitude of winders/motor drives, camera backs and glass to suit every need.

Your choices are fantastic choices indeed. You could go with a Pentax K1000 or a Minolta XG-M and have money left over for a lot more film as these cameras are both great workhorses and to be had for much less. Take the Minolta recommendation from my own personal experience with that camera for over 20 years. Do not underestimate the less expensive models. Canon and Nikon are definitely ships of the lines. But these other frigates pack just as much a punch and dent the money pouch a whole lot less.

If you want the pro-level experience from just a few short years ago, a used F5 can be had pretty affordably...just sayin'. Fantastic meter, fast AF. Lotsa compatible glass out there.

or the F4S, I worked for years with it to my greatest pleasure but for learning I guess the FA was my favourite

May I recommend a Pentax? Seriously. If you get a manual Pentax you will be able to use all the lenses if you ever go digital, plus they make very pretty cameras too and I usually see them for cheaper than Canon or Nikon bodies online. I agree with Christopher Walrath 100% on this one that a Pentax or a Minolta would make an excellent choice and let you get lenses and film for the same price as just a Canon or Nikon body!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back