~ Need some suggestions/advice for a fun project I wish to do w/my daughter ~

In that case, I would also tone down the gloves, lol. IMO, one of the ways most selectively colored photos fail is that the saturation on the colored parts is so over the top that it borders on ridiculous.

I would probably make the eyes about "one stop" above the gloves, in saturation. If it were me, even the most saturated part would still be considered 'desaturated' if it were a color photo. In my opinion, just being colored is emphasis enough - crazy saturation is not required.

No, the top of the flight of stairs at the Philadelphia art museum would be ideal =P

hehe! :}

however, i'd rather travel there for the 'shoot,' than clean out my garage. 0_o

In that case, I would also tone down the gloves, lol. IMO, one of the ways most selectively colored photos fail is that the saturation on the colored parts is so over the top that it borders on ridiculous.

I would probably make the eyes about "one stop" above the gloves, in saturation. If it were me, even the most saturated part would still be considered 'desaturated' if it were a color photo. In my opinion, just being colored is emphasis enough - crazy saturation is not required.

lol, you really dislike this selective coloring, don't u? :}

i just googled some images showing the selective coloring...one was a woman wearing a blue wig, rest of the photo was in black and white. it looked silly...but only because who wears a blue wig, really? then, there was another one where the person had a red flower in her hair, the rest of the pic was black and white. that wasn't bad, but meh. i'm thinking this might not be a good choice, afterall.

we shall see!

'tuff girl' (that's the title I'm giving this) assignment begins tomorrow...weeeeeeeeee!

Only when it's taken to the ridiculous extent that it usually is, lol.

Think "pastel". That's the sort of saturation I like to see in selectively colored photos.

Like a hand colored print.

edit
I may be alone in that opinion, but it's my opinion, damnit. :lol:

It doesn't really matter if it's a good idea or not right now. It's something you do entirely in post processing, which means you don't need to decide one way or the other prior to the shoot. Just make sure you take at least a few shots that ALLOW for a good selective color composition, and then we can all toy around with them later and bicker about saturation until we are satisfied (assuming you are willing to share :D ). if you hate it, then you will still have a perfectly nifty close up shot that works even without the selective color, for your collection.

Like a hand colored print.

edit
I may be alone in that opinion, but it's my opinion, damnit. :lol:

Duly noted! :}

It doesn't really matter if it's a good idea or not right now. It's something you do entirely in post processing, which means you don't need to decide one way or the other prior to the shoot. Just make sure you take at least a few shots that ALLOW for a good selective color composition, and then we can all toy around with them later and bicker about saturation until we are satisfied (assuming you are willing to share :D ). if you hate it, then you will still have a perfectly nifty close up shot that works even without the selective color, for your collection.

Of course, I will share. :) I'm scared but will share. She has a boxing class tonight and I may go with her to take some shots at the gym just to get the hang of it. I don't take pics of ppl often especially in motion...so I'm a bit nervous. :blushing:

I'm reminding myself...this is meant to be fun! :}

An update...my daughter isn't going to boxing tonight/she is tired plus she is thinking of changing to a more "hardcore" gym just for her age group. The guy who teaches her is a boxer but he has to make money and has opened his class up to all ages and she said she's not getting the one on one sparring as much. Anyways...looks like i will be in our garage then! It's so overcast ...wondering if the pics will turn out too dark...I was thinking of leaving the mess in the background and blurring it out so she just pops. Having her more towards the entrance to the garage ....so I get the most natural light?

Might be fitting for the theme. Idk.

Or the bed sheet idea as u suggested, josh.

Im a lil bummed....got my hopes up to take some shots at the gym :/

I wondered what the view is from the garage if the door was open, to use as a background; but then she could be backlit especially depending on which direction the garage faces (towards the sun or not) so that might really be better for a silhouette or at least could be tricky to get a proper exposure.

The only other thing that comes to mind is for her to do some air boxing - like playing air guitar!? - in the backyard; I don't know if that would work but maybe you could get some photos of just her and then get some shots in the gym later on. That might give you either a nice portrait or some practice shots to use to experiment with the B&W and selective coloring.

I too think the selective color can be challenging to do well; it seems to easily overpower a photo. I've experimented with some hand tinting with some of my B&W darkroom prints and a little goes a long way. To me it seems more vibrant if the part of the photo is lighter so I think it can make a difference if the area of the image in which you're using color is large or small, darker or lighter, etc.

If nothing else if you get some practice shots while she's getting in some practice you can give it a try and see what you get - I've found that trying something new and finding out what didn't work can help me figure out what else to try next time that could work better. If you have some fun with it, what's the worst that can happen? having some photos to delete?? been there done that...

Holy crap squirrels! That pic kicks a$$!! I love it. :)

I just found out I'm getting a nice raise which is great but I'm not able to sit here and reply to ya'll hehe Now if I get some nice pics with my daughter later... this will be a perfect day. ;)

pssst...ok everyone. i posted a new thread in the people photography section. did my best. i hope you like. but, if you don't...that's ok. lol i'm learning, and open to suggestions.

i honestly don't think the selective coloring will be all that positive of an effect, after looking at these tonight. 0_o

I use film. B&W film, printed on matte paper and use photo oils to color only certain parts of the photo. You can vary the shades and if you don't like it you can wipe it all off. I used to include 1 oiled 8X10 with my wedding packages.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back