Need to buy a flash for my d70s -- advice??

d70girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any recommendations?

It looks like I'm going to need one if I'm getting into portraits, which I plan to. I'm doing a little research now, but I'm not entirely sure what to look for. Thought I'd check in here and see if anyone could recommend a good one, or atleast some tips on buying one.

Thanks in advance! :D

Okay, did a little more research and... I'm looking into the SB-600. I read a review on it where it was compared to the SB-800 and apparently the only differences are a few little bells and whistles that I wouldn't need anyway and the SB-600 is under $200 on Amazon.

Anyone used either of these?

For portraits I would recommend the SB800 now and add a couple of SB600s as funds allow.

Unless you need continuous strobe for a single exposure and a slew of manual modes when your not hooked up to a TTL SLR, you dont' need an SB-800. The SB-600 will do everything except that for $100 less.

If you are planning to get a bounce card and diffuser take into account that the SB-800 comes with them. The 800 can also trigger mulitple groups of 800s and/or 600s. Depending on how deep you want to get into portraits, multiple strobes are a consideration. Of course if cost is a major issue, get the SB-600, otherwise, for $100 more the SB-800 is a better flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back