Need to take photos of food over 24mp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bargainbabelv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a restaurant, and need to have a sign made with photos of food. The printer said the photos need to be taken with a camera that is at least 24 mexapixels. What camera should I purchase that would accomplish this goal for the least amount of money? Please keep in mind that I am a complete novice. Thank you in advance for your help!

Interesting....

Not trying to be too nosey, but what is the reasoning for 24 Mp?

Just asking.

MP will be in the specs of the camera. One just needs to look one the manufacturers websites.

If this is a one time deal, hire a photographer, or a family friend that is a photographer. Taking good photos takes skill, especially knowledge and experience with good composition and good lighting. Then there's Post Processing, but maybe your printer will do that for you. Don't buy equipment that will be used once then sit for weeks collecting dust. If you really want to do it yourself, consider renting. I use lensrentals.com. If you really want to buy, buy used. I use KEH.com and there are some great deals on dslrs and lenses right now as people unload that gear to go mirrorless. Just know that it takes time to learn how to use a camera correctly.

You need to find out what the 24mp requirement is all about. Most printers will tell you how many pixels per inch they recommend, not the mp of the image, but maybe they backed into 24mp from your requirements. In any case, I have gotten very good results making 17" X 22" prints from 12mp cell phone jpgs, so I'm skeptical of the 24mp requirement.

Or rent a camera.

I have to agree with not buying if its a one shot deal.
If your looking for continous images, then an investment is in order.

I am still a bit perplexed on the 24 Mp thing.
I have seen pictures enlarged to 36x48 inches done beautifully with a 4.5 and 6.5 Mp camera.

but cest la vie.

It would take me a long time to explain why were perplexed on that, but it has to do with format size and other factors.

I have a restaurant, and need to have a sign made with photos of food. The printer said the photos need to be taken with a camera that is at least 24 mexapixels. What camera should I purchase that would accomplish this goal for the least amount of money? Please keep in mind that I am a complete novice. Thank you in advance for your help!

My understanding is the printer of the signing is demanding pixel size because we're a poster (or bigger) so everything is being blown-up. I have several comments.

1. If this is a restaurant, then the menu changes frequently. So it's likely not a "one-time deal" and unless there is a nephew with skills and a good DSLR, it's a "multi-time deal."

2. An option is some software like Topaz Labs "Giga-pixel" which allows you to increase the size of the photo to handle blow-up/crops much better.

3. To specifically answer the OP's question: you can buy a Nikon D800 which produces HUGE files (like 40mp or even larger) and a solid, sharp, cheap prime lens (ideal for this kind of photography) for under $1,000. If you're going to be shooting food for posters/menus a lot, then you may want to consider renting first and if it works for you, then buy. If it doesn't work (and the process of getting the food lit so there are no "hot spots" or glare or heavy contrast is just too much), then consider getting a photographer on retainer instead of buying a camera. But the Nikon D800 because it is an older camera and produces huge files will be ideal for this kind of photography.

It is for a 4’ x 6’ sign. The printer told that the image would need to be 4000 x 6000 DPI for a product that large. I inputted those specs for a photo into Google and got the 24 megapixels.
Interesting....

Not trying to be too nosey, but what is the reasoning for 24 Mp?

Just asking

Are people going to be 6 inches away from it, looking for stray hairs in the food?

If this is a one time deal, hire a photographer, or a family friend that is a photographer. Taking good photos takes skill, especially knowledge and experience with good composition and good lighting. Then there's Post Processing, but maybe your printer will do that for you. Don't buy equipment that will be used once then sit for weeks collecting dust. If you really want to do it yourself, consider renting. I use lensrentals.com. If you really want to buy, buy used. I use KEH.com and there are some great deals on dslrs and lenses right now as people unload that gear to go mirrorless. Just know that it takes time to learn how to use a camera correctly.

You need to find out what the 24mp requirement is all about. Most printers will tell you how many pixels per inch they recommend, not the mp of the image, but maybe they backed into 24mp from your requirements. In any case, I have gotten very good results making 17" X 22" prints from 12mp cell phone jpgs, so I'm skeptical of the 24mp requirement.
Thank you for the suggestions. It is for a 4’ x 6’ sign. The printer stated that the image would need to be 4000 x 6000 DPI for a product that large. I inputted those specs for a photo into Google and got the 24 megapixels. This will not be a one-time deal and photos will change periodically.

My understanding is the printer of the signing is demanding pixel size because we're a poster (or bigger) so everything is being blown-up. I have several comments.

1. If this is a restaurant, then the menu changes frequently. So it's likely not a "one-time deal" and unless there is a nephew with skills and a good DSLR, it's a "multi-time deal."

2. An option is some software like Topaz Labs "Giga-pixel" which allows you to increase the size of the photo to handle blow-up/crops much better.

3. To specifically answer the OP's question: you can buy a Nikon D800 which produces HUGE files (like 40mp or even larger) and a solid, sharp, cheap prime lens (ideal for this kind of photography) for under $1,000. If you're going to be shooting food for posters/menus a lot, then you may want to consider renting first and if it works for you, then buy. If it doesn't work (and the process of getting the food lit so there are no "hot spots" or glare or heavy contrast is just too much), then consider getting a photographer on retainer instead of buying a camera. But the Nikon D800 because it is an older camera and produces huge files will be ideal for this kind of photography.
Very helpful info! Yes, the printer told me that the image would need to be 4000 x 6000 DPI for a 4’ x 6’ poster. I put these photo specs into Google and got the 24 megapixels. I will be updating photos periodically so I do want to purchase a camera.

I have to agree with not buying if its a one shot deal.
If your looking for continous images, then an investment is in order.

I am still a bit perplexed on the 24 Mp thing.
I have seen pictures enlarged to 36x48 inches done beautifully with a 4.5 and 6.5 Mp camera.

but cest la vie.

It would take me a long time to explain why were perplexed on that, but it has to do with format size and other factors.
It is for a 4’ x 6’ sign. The printer told that the image would need to be 4000 x 6000 DPI for a product that large. I entered those photo specs into Google and got the 24 megapixels.

I concur, for max resolution, get a used D800 or D810.

As for lens:
A single dish is different than a place setting or a table. Each will probably have different requirements.
I don't shoot food, so someone will have to recommend the appropriate lens for that.

You WILL want to get lights.
As much as I prefer flash, I think LED lights may be better for you, as then you can SEE the highlights and shadows.

You will want to shoot off a tripod, so you can carefully control the shot.
At this distance, if you handhold and move the camera a couple inches, it will make a difference.

Warning, it will take you some time to learn to set and light still life food.
I stink at shooting still life, so I know how hard it can be.

Gud Luk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back