Need website help

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by D-50, Aug 22, 2007.

1. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am looking to build a website for my photography. I do not need anything wild just asimple site where I can display somework and adviertise sevices. More or less a place I can direct potential clients when they ask me for examples. I am willing to use a templatee based service to create my site but I want to be able to customize the template from font and colors to images. I have seen sights that have different photos you can use but I want my photos on the page, the other big thing is I want my webaddress to be www.rdphotography.com not www.freewebs/somethingelse/rdphotography.com . I have looked at Godaddy.com and it seems decent does anyone have any expereince with them or any other site I could use to build and host my site?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. kcp

kcp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. hudsonp

hudsonp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i use www.ixwebhosting.com they are pretty good, reasonable prices and great service.

5. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    www.site5.com $5 a month, 110 GB space, tons of tools. You can easily set up a Coppermine website that is basically a gallery. (http://www.w3Bolivar.com/cpg) that's my coppermine gallery. Then, you can add a plugin to Coppermine called MiniCMS that you can use to do the advertising/extra info you speak of.

6. NikonD40x@Denver

NikonD40x@Denver TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    do they all want to be pre-paid?

7. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can I build a site in Image Ready and then upload it to one of these hosting sites. I have been looking atthe templates for someof the site builders and they all have pictures in them that you cannot change. I would not feel right setting up a photography website and have a picture I did not take displayed anywhere on the page

8. dakkon76

dakkon76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've done tons of Web sites, I used to be a Webmaster, then a programmer, then a system administrator. I still maintain a Web server and I can add your domain name to it and lease you space for about $11/month including a few email accounts for the domain if you're interested. I can also set up a photo album that you can upload your pics to and what not... if you're interested, just pm me and we can discuss it more.

The imageready thing would probably work, but having an actually photo gallery package installed would be tons easier... then you just upload the photos to your site and don't have to deal with managing all of the pages and stuff.

9. ScenicBC

ScenicBC TPF Noob!

I come from a Webmaster / Developer / Search Engine Optimization background and although Image Ready makes for a nice and easy website to design, they won't bring in the traffic. I've been struggling with the best way to display my stuff, and bring traffic in from the websites to promote my photography.

After going through a few different ideas I have found the most effective photography ideas for a website are 1) a photo blog 2) a photo gallery 3) photo services page. I recently setup my photo blog in the beginning of July and its already brought in 109 Google searches, and 270+ unique visitors this month. Feel free to ask for any advice, but I do work for a Search Engine Optimization company so my stats are a little skewed. :lol:

10. MikeR

MikeR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had a site with Go Daddy but it was not good for selling photos on line. Their tech support is also fair - poor. I switched over to Exposure Manager and mapped my domain so that Exposure Manager is not part of my website name.

11. bpantell

bpantell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi there, I can help you out with your website if you like. I am a Graphic Designer/Web Developer and I also do freelance work. My portfolio is here: (www.studiobhiphop.com). Im sure I can work out a reasonable price for a fellow photographer. Let me know if you are interested.
    Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks,
    Brent

12. jenie_penny

jenie_penny TPF Noob!

I personally think you should go with a fully customizable flash website as I find it really highlights your work and can create an immediate connection with potential clients. Below is the breakdown of what I consider the best in the industry from most expensive to least:

Bigfolio.com
    great templates very professional with smooth animations
    best customer service in the industry
    updatable from any computer
    $800ish + hosting + domain name

flashpalette.com
    good templates
    updatable via a program installed on your PC
    $200ish + hosting + domain name

winklet.com
    decent templates
    updatable with limited computer/programming knowledge
    $65ish + hosting + domain name

portfoliositez.com
    great template design and smooth animations
    fully editable from any computer
    not launching until end of sept.
    $10ish/mo (for template and hosting) + domain name

with all the ones above the templates are fully updatable through an admin system of code (for winklet). Bigfolio requires you host with them. For flashpalette and winklet a good hosting company is bluehost.com, they are the cheapest quality hosting that I could find for $6.95/mo. My site has yet to go down and it comes with tons of space. For domain registration the cheapest registration is at godaddy.com for $8.85/yr.

hope that helps :)