Needing some advice on how make an overall improvement....

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How can I become a better photographer? I’ve posted a number of pictures and have rec’d some honest reviews that are less than stellar… Most of them have to do with composition. I think I have a pretty good idea of the theory of exposure and how to implement a fairly good looking photograph, but they seem to be less than average in the setup of the picture.. If you want to look at my website, and see the kind of pictures that I like to take, I’d appreciate some feedback. I don’t post anything here just ‘because’, but I really try and learn from the comments I receive. I’m relatively new, just getting my first DSLR last November. I’ve attempted to read as much as I can about the subject, and have invested in a number of books that have actually helped, but nothing is better in learning than a good honest opinion from someone who knows more than I do !! If you feel like venturing over to R Otto Photography, and give some advice – and you see a pattern, or a specific area that I can improve on, I’d appreciate it..

BTW, I just have to say ……… I think this is an awesome hobby/profession!! I’m having a ball either way..

Thanks,

sorry can't give you any advice on how to make them better since I find your pix (the ones i saw) Really Good! =)
i'm sure the experts here will be able to give you pointers so I'll leave the critique up to them.

I really like your web site AND your photos. None of us is 100% accurate in all the photos we take, but I'd say you're doing great! I found your landscapes, especially, to be simply astounding!

How can I become a better photographer? I’m relatively new, just getting my first DSLR last November.
You've only been shooting for a very, very short amount of time and you really can't expect to become an exceptional photographer right away (unless you're a gift prodigy or something). It takes time to develop your "eye" and you'll just have to keep shooting and shooting and shooting and learn how to critique your own work objectively.

One thing you can do is to take a unbiased look at your oldest pictures and compare them with your most recent pictures and see if you're improving or not. I do this all the time now and I'm surprised at how different my current image look compared to my early stuff.

Another thing that can really help is to find a mentor who is willing to spend the time to go out shooting with you. You'll probably learn more this way than any other way.

Most reactions

Back