Neophyte Question-

m. allen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not real smart, but I'm slow to make up for it. Bought Nikon Coolpix P90. Took some wildlife shots... wasn't getting good focus with zoom so took some without zoom. With the resolution of the camera, I can zoom the existing pics up using the camera features and center them and they are acceptable "keeper" shots, but I don't know how to save them in the edited version. Any one help me resolve this neophyte problem?

Your best bet is to do your cropping in a computer. A free program like GIMP will work fine.

i use gimp it does the job

Will that software allow me to Zoom the original picture up as well as crop?

From my understanding, in post production crop and zoom are one and the same.

Will that software allow me to Zoom the original picture up as well as crop?

Unless I'm missing something, it's the same thing. When you "zoom" the image on your camera's LCD, your simply increasing the magnification at which it is viewed. Cropping achieves the same result by decreasing the size of the image.

Lets see if I can help out a little. There are two zooms, zoom in = enlarge the image, zoom out = make the image smaller. The zoom in tool will show a magnifier and a + plus sign inside, zoom out will show a magnifier with a minus - sign inside.

The crop tool on the otherhand draws a rectangular lasso around the area you want to save and deletes all areas outside of the crop mark.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back