netbook that allows cs4?

Just as a brief update, I've been playing around with my Samsung NC10 (upgraded to 2 GB RAM) to see what it can do on this score. I did succeed in installing the various utilities that came with my 5DII without too many difficulties. The only limitation I found was that the installer requires a minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 - most Netbooks have a res of 1024 x 600 - this can be got round though by forcing it to accept a non-standard resolution for the screen, it just means you end up scrolling the screen up and down to see everything.

Once installed, you can reduce the resolution back down to 1024 x 600 without a problem, but I did find that DPP would not run set like that - it needs the same resolution as the installer. The EOS utilities and ZoomBrowser EX work just fine. I downloaded a sample set of RAW files to the NC10 and was able to view what I needed with no particular issues. I didn't try any editing however.

My initial impression is that it could be used as a handy storage/viewing device when away from my normal editing computer, but I'm not sure I'd like to attempt any editing on it. Perhaps when I get a moment, I'll try resetting the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 again and see how it performs with DPP.

While I can understand the amount of resources needed for CS4, but I image that Lightroom is somewhat less intense in terms of requirements?

Unfortunately, Lightroom still requires a chip with a 2Mghz speed. I think I'll get one anyway and try to load View NX on it.

Jerry

i use cs2 on my asus 1101.. its not as fast as my mbp but it does the job even on raw files

I have an ASUS EeePC 1000HE and upgraded the ram to 2gb with windows 7 (im about to install Mac OS X on it just for the hell of it :D) and CS4 runs but pretty slow, but it's usable.

Ok, here's the poop from the IT sales guy. Netbooks are definately not designed for that kind of use. Surfing the web, a little music, basic essentials. The smaller processor is what makes the battery last 3-4 hrs on a 3 cell, which a full size notebook would chew up in an hour. And if you have Vista on it, forget it. That thing is resource hog.
Now, on the good side. Windows 7 comes out next month and that is a more powerful OS with less footprint than XP, so getting a Netbook then, with the potentially newer processors Intel is developing might change that.
I think the netbook is a great "in the field" resource to dump your images. But trying to do anything else will probably give you a headache.

7 has less footprint than Vista, definitely not XP. In fact footprint size it's the same as Vista, but better scheduling of UI, and better memory management make it feel much snappier.
Poop from someone running Windows 7, it's fantastic on a quad core with 4GB or RAM (modern hardware), but I definitely would get XP if I had a netbook (which are typically about as fast as my computer 3 years ago).

Hmmm I had an MS VP in my office today and he indicted less footprint. As did the Sales Team that was here to launch it with us. I'll have to wait and see. Those that have tried it say that "it's what Vista was supposed to be"

And you will be hard pressed to find an XP Netbook soon!

so can you use a netbook to view your files on the spot. if you have the wireless battery grip and can transmit your pictures instantly from you camera to your laptop wirelessly and quickly? would it be slow viewing huge 12mp Raw files? just viewing, not editing. 2 GB ram.

I have used an Acer Aspire One to review shots and used PS CS4 on it. Was slow with CS4 and slow loading ViewNX. Once ViewNX loaded it was fine. I ditched the netbook and just went back to my Dell M1330 because of the processing power and screen. The netbook monitors are crap. The M1330 has an amazing screen and just about as powerful as a standard desktop. Plus it barely weighs any more than the netbook.

Hmmm I had an MS VP in my office today and he indicted less footprint. As did the Sales Team that was here to launch it with us. I'll have to wait and see. Those that have tried it say that "it's what Vista was supposed to be"

And you will be hard pressed to find an XP Netbook soon!

Min spec for 7 is a lot more than that of XP. It's an improvement on Vista, but it's not smaller than XP. There's no doubt plenty of XP notebooks stocked so it won't be going away just yet.

Just to reiterate; this is not what netbooks were designed for. Tablet PC would be more along the right lines. But they're 6 times the price of a netbook.

I have used an Acer Aspire One to review shots and used PS CS4 on it. Was slow with CS4 and slow loading ViewNX. Once ViewNX loaded it was fine. I ditched the netbook and just went back to my Dell M1330 because of the processing power and screen. The netbook monitors are crap. The M1330 has an amazing screen and just about as powerful as a standard desktop. Plus it barely weighs any more than the netbook.

XPS laptops are fine when they work. But they're nowhere near as reliable as a Latitude... not as reliable as an Inspiron either I'd say.

XPS laptops are fine when they work. But they're nowhere near as reliable as a Latitude... not as reliable as an Inspiron either I'd say.

They use the same mainboards, cpus, ram, optical drives, and other internal parts. Plus they have metal hinges and a more rugged exterior. So I don't see why they would be any less reliable. I've had 2 XPS laptops now and they are absolute tanks.

MSI Wind with 2GB running Lightroom . Screen too small and it is slow but still "ok". I use it to review my photos while away from home. You are better off with a full laptop.

Most reactions

Back