netbook that allows cs4?

I have used an Acer Aspire One to review shots and used PS CS4 on it. Was slow with CS4 and slow loading ViewNX. Once ViewNX loaded it was fine. I ditched the netbook and just went back to my Dell M1330 because of the processing power and screen. The netbook monitors are crap. The M1330 has an amazing screen and just about as powerful as a standard desktop. Plus it barely weighs any more than the netbook.

XPS laptops are fine when they work. But they're nowhere near as reliable as a Latitude... not as reliable as an Inspiron either I'd say.

They use the same mainboards, cpus, ram, optical drives, and other internal parts. Plus they have metal hinges and a more rugged exterior. So I don't see why they would be any less reliable. I've had 2 XPS laptops now and they are absolute tanks.

There's absolutely no comparison in build quality. Latitude is far superior. And internally they're not the same. They're sparkly and fancy and attractive. But if you're looking for a workhorse run far, far away from them.

I'd also add - the M1330 max resolution isn't fantastic either. Again; inferior to a similarly priced Latitude. Obviously it's smaller though - the price you pay for portability I guess.

XPS laptops are fine when they work. But they're nowhere near as reliable as a Latitude... not as reliable as an Inspiron either I'd say.

They use the same mainboards, cpus, ram, optical drives, and other internal parts. Plus they have metal hinges and a more rugged exterior. So I don't see why they would be any less reliable. I've had 2 XPS laptops now and they are absolute tanks.

There's absolutely no comparison in build quality. Latitude is far superior. And internally they're not the same. They're sparkly and fancy and attractive. But if you're looking for a workhorse run far, far away from them.

I'd also add - the M1330 max resolution isn't fantastic either. Again; inferior to a similarly priced Latitude. Obviously it's smaller though - the price you pay for portability I guess.

How is an all plastic Latitude far superior to an almost all aluminum XPS? No Dell even comes close to an XPS in terms of build quality. And yes, Dell laptops from the same generation all use the same parts.

I have NX 1 on my netbook, but it's an emergency-only sort of thing, and crunching a full-size NEF file is generally a 'go for coffee' evolution.

How is an all plastic Latitude far superior to an almost all aluminum XPS? No Dell even comes close to an XPS in terms of build quality. And yes, Dell laptops from the same generation all use the same parts.

I fear we've drifted off topic, but in any case; XPS laptops are consumer laptops. Latitude laptops are business grade. You think metal automatically means better? That doesn't really make much sense. Latitude laptops are built better than XPSs are.

I'll not list all the little problems with XPS laptops, but they have well known issues with cooling, their batteries and their power supplies. If it's light use, they're fine. But they're not business class machines, they're not very reliable, and I wouldn't personally care to own one.

XPS is like putting a turbo on a 1 litre car.

How are they not reliable? I've owned several Latitudes and this is my 3rd XPS. Having owned both I can definitely say the XPS is far superior in terms of reliability and build quality. And yes, considering the cheap plastic they use in the Latitude line metal does automatically mean better. The Latitude chassis starts to crack and fall apart after about 6 months of moderate use. The XPS chassis is an absolute tank and virtually indestructible.

How are they not reliable? I've owned several Latitudes and this is my 3rd XPS. Having owned both I can definitely say the XPS is far superior in terms of reliability and build quality. And yes, considering the cheap plastic they use in the Latitude line metal does automatically mean better. The Latitude chassis starts to crack and fall apart after about 6 months of moderate use. The XPS chassis is an absolute tank and virtually indestructible.

Can I ask what you do for a living?

Sure. It's in my profile. I'm a System Administrator. Spent years maintaining several thousand Dell Latitudes before switching to a real business class laptop with the HP EliteBook when I worked as a desktop administrator. That being said. Each XPS I've has been built with a much higher grade chassis than both the Latitude and EliteBook. It's the reason I carry the XPS with me in the field and the only reason I continue to discuss it in this thread as I feel (in my opinion) that the XPS is the best solution... although it's a bit expensive if picture review is all it's being used for.

Then there must be a difference due to location; Dell have been making changes in their setup in Europe. A number of their larger production centres are moving or have moved. It's a little bit incredible for me to hear anyone defend XPS build quality - it's routinely mocked here. In a similar way; XPS desktops that we occasionally source are nowhere near as stable or reliable as Optiplexs.

XPS laptops (over here at least) are total junk.

How do you feel about Mac? I wanted to buy a Netbook myself a few months ago and the more I looked into it the more I changed my mind..

I bought a 12" iBook for about the same price. It's a 1.33G4/160/1.5 I'm using CS3 and lightroom 2 on it and it works much better then I thought it would, So much that I haven't touched my main laptop since I bought the mac.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back