Shopping for a Photo Editing Program

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

A few years ago I bought a new H.P. laptop from Walmart. It is a 64 bit operating system, a 2.16 GHz processor, and 4.0 GB memory. I uploaded Photoshop Elements 5.0. The system is usable but extremely slow. Tonight I purchased a refurbished laptop and the technician assured me that it would be better for a photo editing program. It has a bigger processor and 12 GB RAM. I get the impression that Adobe Photoshop might be out of my league. To my understanding another Photoshop elements program might be what I am looking for. The photoshop elements 5.0 won't even register with Adobe anymore. I guess I really don't care. I know I can't receive updates on the program. But the few options that 5.0 has seems to be just fine. On eBay there are other photoshop elements programs such as the 10 and 12 versions. One thing I noticed about the 5.0 version is that the 'help' information doesn't work anymore. If I have any questions about a procedure or how to do something, I cannot seek information on it. Maybe if I had a later version of photoshop elements, the help section would get updates and function properly. Does anyone have any opinions? Maybe GIMP would be better for $7.95 on a disk.

Thank you,

Lonnie

I have been using Photoshop Elements since Elements 10 we are on Elements 20 at the moment.

Photoshop elements. What ver depends on what ver of windows you are using. A web search should have the info.

Photoshop elements. What ver depends on what ver of windows you are using. A web search should have the info.

Okay, I am presently doing some research. Thank you

What kind of photo editing? Raw files or camera JPEGs or both? What camera? Software came/comes with your camera have you considered that yet?

Joe

Exposure X5 is pretty nice. I don't edit a lot but when I need to edit a raw file, this is what I use. It's simple and intuitive. Lots of pre sets which I don't use. I mainly use the simple feaatures like contrast, shadow, curves, etc. Its available for Mac and Windows.

Exposure X5 creative photo editor and organizer - Exposure Software

I use Affinity Photo. One fee, no monthly "rental" charge, updates come with the program. I'm very happy with it. Was originally designed for Mac, has been out for Windows now for a while.

GIMP used to be a reasonable alternative to PS but I've heard from some GIMP users recently that it hasn't kept pace and so is clunkier--that's hear-say, if you're a GIMP fan then jump in and correct me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back