"Never turn VR on unless it's actually needed."

MrLogic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Article by Thom Hogan in which he tries to explain Nikon's Vibration Reduction system... and when (not) to use it:

Nikon VR explained

One of the main points: VR should normally be off if your shutter speed is above 1/500 s (according to Hogan) or 1/250 (according to some other (unnamed) photographers).

Thoughts?

It makes sense.

This can be especially important on the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. I know several pro wedding photographers who own (and love) this lens, but most of them have found that the IS system dies after a year or two of heavy (professional) use. It can be replaced/repaired, but I don't know anyone who has had their 70-200mm IS die on them.

The solution seems to be using the IS, only when needed. And with such a short lens, it's really isn't needed all that often.

Nice read, THANKS!

great reading.

seriously, i am using my 50mm more than i use my 18-105 and i rarely have problem with out of focus picture or camera shake. even at 1/50 1/60 (shouldn go lower with a 50mm lens)

Well I pretty much have to agree with them. I have pretty much quit using VR unless Im below 1/250 and, if I do use it at 1/250 it is only as the photo is shot as opposed to Full Time. THis is with handheld shots ofcourse. On my tripod I have only used it when my shutter speeds were very low due to lighting and, again on Mode1. I personally havent liked the results from Mode2 on my 80-400. Personally I wont buy a VR lens that is below 200mms, I just dont see a need for it myself. Good holding technique will work better than VR. Now granted for some people who have some problem with steady holding due to physical problems I imagine it is a God send so, then I can see a reason for it.

I always wondered what happend to the background in this photo...

4494789507_19619f73c6_b.jpg

"Busy bokeh" caused by VR could explain it.

good read, one more thing to cram into my brain.

p!nK

Here's a thought, why is this even questioned? VR is an incredible battery leech. Image quality issues aside you should turn it off when not needed.

I wonder if this is true for IS as well - I've never really heard of it before now (and I always assumed most of the pros on the sports run had the lens on tripods/monopods for the match so only panning VR/IS modes would be needed at the most).

As for batteries I do agree it does drain, but a full day shooting, 2000odd images and IS on all the time and with a batterygrip no problems

Here's a thought, why is this even questioned? VR is an incredible battery leech. Image quality issues aside you should turn it off when not needed.
Did you even click the link, though? I agree with your point, but the article itself discusses much more detail about how VR works and such than just "don't use it unless you need it."

I said this a long time ago IS does nothing above 1/250

Just gonna throw out there that it does stablize the viewfinder for composing shots; even if the image is being taken at 1/1000 or so. When I was shooting an air show with my old 70-300 IS, I was talking to a fellow shooter next to me who was using a 70-200 non-IS with a 2x TC, which he let me mount and use for a few shots. I had no issues tracking flight paths and snapping shots free handed with mine, but without IS, I found it extremely difficult to follow them and keep them in frame. Granted its kind of a specific case (heavy body/lens combo, no tripod, looking up 45º or more), but it's still something to think about.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back