New and learning

acintronpr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Well, I'm a in the military station in Hawaii. I love to take pictures. The only thing I know is point and shoot. I do like to learn more about this art. This is something that I would like to do as a part time when I retire. But for now I would like to learn and enjoy the hobby. For a long time I have a nikon d60 with the standard lens and I been learning how to use the basic settings. now when it come ps to light and exposure to have the pic taken in a specific way thats when i get lost. Well I will be posting pictures I hope you guys help me how I can improve and get better.

If you post photos, I'm confident you'll get plenty of helpful feedback.

Read, learn about aperture and shutter speed and exposure.

Don't buy anything else until you are able to shoot on full manual mode.

That's my advice.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi acintronpr, and welcome to the forum. :) Stationed where you are, I hope you get plenty of chances to go photograph the scenery! Check out our Gallery section when you are ready to post some of your work. There's lots to read and learn here, so take your time, ask questions and have fun.

Don't buy anything else until you are able to shoot on full manual
I agree with the first half, not necessarily the second. If there's a good reason to buy a new lens I.e. 50 f/1.8, go for it. It will help you better learn about the advantages of having a wider aperture and trying to properly frame a photo in camera. Plus it's so damn cheap, it's almost silly not to have one LOL

Welcome to the site.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your service to our country...

Don't buy anything else until you are able to shoot on full manual
I agree with the first half, not necessarily the second. If there's a good reason to buy a new lens I.e. 50 f/1.8, go for it. It will help you better learn about the advantages of having a wider aperture and trying to properly frame a photo in camera. Plus it's so damn cheap, it's almost silly not to have one LOL

Ok so with the exception of the thrifty fifty (50mm f/1.8) don't buy anything until you can use the camera on full manual and actually know what you are doing.

It's not that you won't get some good imagery even before this point, it's that you won't really know what camera and other lenses you will be able to take advantage of, until you actually understand what the features do, and if you can't work a camera in full manual, then you don't fully understand the basics of photography and therefore can't possibly truly conceptualize and understand what the features really do, even if you can discern which is better, you should know WHY.

"But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong..." ~Dennis Miller

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back