New At Photography(please check out my stuff)

Giovanni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, I'm 16, and i just recently got into photography so here are some of my photos.

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

The first one is interesting and good. I like shots that are in a little better focus but that's just my opinion.

I think you have an eye for what makes a pleasing photograph, now you need to work on technique. experiment with focusing and shutter speeds. say, for the first one, maybe try having the focus on the spaghetti, rather then the apples behind. try all sorts of things and you'll learn quickly.

I agree with green on this one... try changing the focus around for the 1st one. and the others don't really seem to have much of a subject... it's a good start though! just keep shooting!!! :)

Thanks alot everyone for the advice, those were done with my friends digital camera. My parents just recently gave me their old Minolta Hi-Matic AF-D, so for the week ive been testing it out just getting used to how everything works. im almost done the roll so hopefully it will give me more of an idea on what i can do and what i should work on.

Oh and a question this camera has an auto focus and when i take of the lens i have a dial that ranges from 25-400 and i think it has to do with the shutter what difference will chaning the number or making the shutter larger/smaller do for my pictures?

Thanks again!

I like the first pic... as far as your question goes I am unsure... I don't think you mean shutter but aperture as you don't make the shutter any larger or smaller, just speed it up or slow it down... In both cases however I cannot associate the numbers with any form of measurement as aperture is measured in F numbers and shutter speed in increments of seconds... It looks almost as if it should be a zoom lens but for 25-400mm it would be a superzoom and if it's an old camera I doubt it is that... to be totally honest I am confused.

thanks again guys i just looked up "ISO/ASA" and now know how it effects my pictures thank you so much! im learning new things each day :)

jonmikal said:
the 25-400 refers to ISO/ASA

Yup, you set this dial to the ISO of the film you are using.

As far as how how shutter speed and aperture (size od lens opening) affect your photos...that is the basics of exposure. I suggest doing some reading and then come here to ask any specific questions you might have.

Basically, shutter speed is how long the shutter is open. Obviously, the longer it's open, the more light gets in. Also, the longer the shutter is open, the more change of getting a blurry image due to the motion of either the subject or the camera. When holding the camera in your hands, you want to keep the shutter speed number at about or higher than the length of your lens. So for a 50mm lens, don't set you shutter speed below 1/60. This is to avoid blur from camera shake. If you use a tripod...this does not apply.

The aperture also affects exposure by controlling how much light gets it. It's represented in F numbers....the smaller the number the bigger the opening. If the opening is bigger, it obviously lets in more light...so when you combine the size of the opening and the duration the shutter is open...that is your exposure value. Therefore, you can get the same exposure if you adjust both the shutter and aperture. If you open the aperture, you have to make the shutter faster and visa versa.

Aperture also controls DOF (depth of field). This is the range in which objects are in focus, front to back. If the aperture is bigger, the DOF is smaller (shallow). If you close down the aperture...more of the scene will be in focus.

Are you confused yet?

lol, nope i think i got most of that thanks so much Big Mike! I'm just realy excited to see how this roll turns out.

Most reactions

Back