New baby shots

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was a quick set of my Niece and her 1 month old kid. we did this down in my grandmas basement in a about a 7'wide by 10' long section of the basement. with about a 7' ceiling height. wasn't the best conditions. but that's what makes things interesting right. and we didnt get a lot of shots in because she was pretty fussy and wasn't really into the picture thing on this day. These shots were a few of the more "diffrent" shots that I did, was trying out a few diffrent photoshop techniques and working on my black and white which I havnt done a lot of but am beginning to like more. As I always ask for. be honest and tell me what you think and what you feel I could have done better on.

1.)

Maggie-9 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

2.)

Maggie-15 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

3.)

Maggie-17 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

4.) got him as he was playing with her, he wasn't actually screaming at her. but it does look like there screaming at each other and i thought it was quiet funny. I know his arms cut off as well.

Maggie-7 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

5.)

Maggie-12 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

I posted a picture a week ago that I thought conveyed an emotion, but it was only present to me as I was there to take the picture - people on this forum saw something else. That's what I get out of 4 - you say screaming, I see yawning.

I like #2. I haven't photographed many babies, so can't help on C&C.

I'm not a big fan of black and white babies myself. Babies don't have much texture or detail in their skin so it just becomes a gray baby. But that's me :)

I really like them all though!

The good: Focus and exposure look right on for these. Also, I really like that you left these pretty natural; no demon/alien eyes or plastic skin! They eyes in 5 are absolutely, naturally gorgeous.

The not-so-good: Framing needs a lot of work. #1, the mom's hand is kind of confusing (perhaps color would be less confusing) I know it's her hand, but something is tricking my brain into seeing an extra big roll on the babies back. Two is not bad, I think cropping out some of that flower works for the photo, but her hand is mighty close to being amputated (and would be in a frame). Three and five are a smidge tight, especially when you consider framing them. I knew exactly what you were after in four, and I think the crop/framing is best in that one. Would fit well in a frame.

The good: Focus and exposure look right on for these. Also, I really like that you left these pretty natural; no demon/alien eyes or plastic skin! They eyes in 5 are absolutely, naturally gorgeous.

The not-so-good: Framing needs a lot of work. #1, the mom's hand is kind of confusing (perhaps color would be less confusing) I know it's her hand, but something is tricking my brain into seeing an extra big roll on the babies back. Two is not bad, I think cropping out some of that flower works for the photo, but her hand is mighty close to being amputated (and would be in a frame). Three and five are a smidge tight, especially when you consider framing them. I knew exactly what you were after in four, and I think the crop/framing is best in that one. Would fit well in a frame.

Thanks for the c&c, no arguments from me on the cropping. you notice that all three of the closeups are all similar i'm sure, because we literally got the kid comfortable and not balling her eyes out in one sitting position. so i was trying to crop the closeup shots tight because I had one or two full body type shots and was just trying to pull a bit diffrent look out of some very similar shots. with the one of dad holding the kid i consider that more a snapshot because of the tight space it was just a grab real quick and he was allready on the edge of the room same goes for mom. ive got a few more of her holding the kid but she was laying on her breast and it to me just looked awkward so I tried to get this one to work. If this would have been a paid shoot I would have been making another schedule to go back and get some better shots. but with it being family and I know i'll get more chances and plenty more shots I just more worked with what I was given. I have also been working on trying to crop more to how I want the photo to look versus going wider and cropping each photo and I think that for me is a work in progress, i think i'm getting better at it, but i think these were problaby a fault of me just trying to get in too close.

Most reactions

Back