New Branding and Abstract Photo

Yeah, that was not grumpy derrel. That was derrel being funny. (or not funny if his jokes arent your style).

Yeah I misread it the initial time and apologized in a later post :3 I'll edit the first post to reflect this though

I hope your armor fits you well sir, and that your mount is strong and steady beneath you as you enter the fray. The rules of engagement are constantly shifting, and a noble knight such as yourself must always be wary of knaves with cameras, lurking beside the king's roads, waiting to ambush men such as yourself with low prices and shoddy, apprentice-level works, which they try and pass off as if they had been be done by a journeyman, or nay, by a master. Keep your wits about you. Keep your sword sharp, and your lances well-repaired.

My translation from the King James version, to modern-day Amurrrican English:

I address you with respect, sir, and I think you're ready for the battle that is professional photography these days. I hope you have a good support system under you (business plan, real expense ideas and numbers, accounting principles, business license, insurance, Tax ID #,etc). The field is constantly in flux. I think you're a good, straight shooter with noble intentions, yet still you will have to watch out for all the MWACs and GWC and weekenders who will try and undercut you with their low prices, and their web sites, some filled with stolen photos from better shooters, which they try and pass of as theirs, even though they are terrible hacks. Keep your wits about you. Keep your cameras and lenses always ready, and in good repair.

only one thing I would like to point out. The middle point for the top of the shield and the middle point for the bottom of the shield do not look like the line up on the same vertical axis. i could be wrong but it looks off to the right just a bit.

I guess I'm missing the part that needs branding.....*ducks*

I find it a bit.....weird....that so many budding photographers are designing logos, and branding, websites, ad campains, and soforth. What happened to letting the photos speak or themselves? I mean, I'm all for logos and branding and soforth, but why is that coming before the photos in so many people's journey? I don't get it.

Last edited:
This isn't just a photography brand :) I went to school for graphic design, video, web, and taught myself photography. This is my personal branding. I go to networking meetings, I pitch ideas to companies, and any time I send an invoice, email, or newsletter (heck even my envelopes) it is all branded. It isn't just a logo that sits on my computer gathering digital data dust xD My logo touches everything I give to people, which is why it'll be a while before any new branding takes effect (hence posting it here to see what people think).

Well then in that case, I like the first one. I also like the one on your siggy.

Branding is, like, a HUUUUUUUUGE thing bennielou...there are blogs about it, web sites about it, how-to books about it, and thousands of companies specializing in crafting and refining and testing branding efforts, the whole nine yards...

Branding is what made Kodak a world-famous name...Coca~Cola's little script is,uh, kinda popular and that weird pinched at the waist Coke bottle...truly iconic... Leica's famous "red dot"...goofy old Orville Redenbacher took his brand of offbeat folksy-ness and made his popping corn the biggest seller in theworld, displacing Jiffy Pop [Orville Redenbacher was an agricultural scientist AND a corn hybridizer of world-wide reputation and fame within the agricultural sciences community--no joke!], those crazy McDonald's golden arches that any kid in the freakin' WORLD can see from a half mile away...that goofy script Ford logo, that weird Chevrolet bow-tie...branding is something that the truly successful companies understand, and guard religiously against any type of infringement or imitation or deliberate efforts to confuse the public.

I don't disagree Derrel. I'm a branding nut. I just think before people brand, they should have a product.

I don't disagree Derrel. I'm a branding nut. I just think before people brand, they should have a product.

Which came first, The Chicken or The Egg? Help me out here...I know there's that new TV commercial where the voice of John Goodman plays the chicken whose home The Egg arrives at, (the voice of The Egg is provided by Steve Buscemi) and they are going to watch a movie...and they bicker a bit, then The Egg claims he was the first, but The Chicken says that The Egg had to be layed by...a chicken...so...branding>product, product>branding.

To me, it makes sense to develop a brand,and a brand philosophy, and to first figure out what the brand means, and only THEN strive to fulfill the goals, instead of the other way around...but then....chicken....egg...egg...chicken.

Can you develope a brand before you know what your style is?

I say definately "Chicken". LOL.

Even though I have gotten mixed reviews on my branding here, ever since I've graduated college had I not had any branding at all - I would have missed out on many opportunities.

I can't tell you how many times my branding has created enough interest in me, that a business will actually call me up just to see what I'm all about. My tagline has always been Photographic Designer, because of my main business being graphic design and my upcoming business as a commercial photographer (getting there slowly but surely!) I don't actually include what services I offer, and find that by not doing so people are more interested in me. This works for me because of the branding being somewhat outstanding compared to a normal business card.

In a pile of cards, you can spot my 60 pound bone (white) laid non-gloss card without even trying! Not to mention the front is solely my logo, and the back is just some basic information. The card overall has very little on it. (My newest logo posted in the OP, I really need to work on more.) Compared to most small businesses, which have very busy and very flimsy cards. Mine is basically card stock, and almost all negative space.

I think people underestimate the power of branding. Though coming from a design point of view it is easier for me to see it, because you just don't know until you try it. I think many people don't see branding as useful because they've had someone design a logo and think that alone makes a brand. A logo is a face to your brand, not the entire body.

I agree with the need for branding, however I feel the brand design will attract some and move away others, depending on what they need vs. what they see in the logo. For me, this is a (well designed) logo that cites centuries old symbols (although perhaps without the associated symbolism, e.g. why the royal lily? Is it about your birth city or state? (EDIT: do not worry, I had lost the explanation post :) )).
If I have to choose a designer for my web site or my factory of modern furniture, I would not stop at someone showing this kind of branding: I would associate it to some conservative kind of style. By the way, slightly contrasting with the image you have in signature. Nothing against it, but I would suppose more aimed at, let's say, country side, romantic furniture, or a web site for an old ladies cloth shop, sort of. I also suppose this could be an interesting niche to work with.

Last edited:
The flur de lis is actually French in its origin (why you think of New Orleans)

Have you ever been to Louisiana? Having originally been a French colony, the French influence is still very strong down there (I have family in La). Their Cajun language is even a dialect of French. And the fleur de lis is used to decorate just about everything! Seriously, you can't get away from it.

Even though I have gotten mixed reviews on my branding here, ever since I've graduated college had I not had any branding at all - I would have missed out on many opportunities.

I can't tell you how many times my branding has created enough interest in me, that a business will actually call me up just to see what I'm all about. My tagline has always been Photographic Designer, because of my main business being graphic design and my upcoming business as a commercial photographer (getting there slowly but surely!) I don't actually include what services I offer, and find that by not doing so people are more interested in me. This works for me because of the branding being somewhat outstanding compared to a normal business card.

In a pile of cards, you can spot my 60 pound bone (white) laid non-gloss card without even trying! Not to mention the front is solely my logo, and the back is just some basic information. The card overall has very little on it. (My newest logo posted in the OP, I really need to work on more.) Compared to most small businesses, which have very busy and very flimsy cards. Mine is basically card stock, and almost all negative space.

I think people underestimate the power of branding. Though coming from a design point of view it is easier for me to see it, because you just don't know until you try it. I think many people don't see branding as useful because they've had someone design a logo and think that alone makes a brand. A logo is a face to your brand, not the entire body.

I really like your sig above all else in this post, but the other stuff was cool too. I don't think branding is what it once was, I think you could spend time and money more wisely. I love the fact that tomorrow you could become famous and that alone is far more valuable than a good brand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back