new Canon user, advice please!

Wow! That's a fantastic shot! The water droplets really add drama. Can I ask which telephoto lens you use for this type of stuff?

Wow! That's a fantastic shot! The water droplets really add drama. Can I ask which telephoto lens you use for this type of stuff?

I don't use that camera anymore but i think it had a 70-200F4L fitted, i shoot with 2 1D cameras 70-200 on 1 and 300F2.8L on the other
You wouldn't get that shot with the 70-200 unlees you have a press pass

Funnily enough I was just looking at a 70-200f4l, need to save the pennies.

I had a look at your pics, some great action shots! But I love your landscapes too. Is there any benefit to shooting in b/w or do you convert colour shots to b/w in post-processing?

Funnily enough I was just looking at a 70-200f4l, need to save the pennies.

I had a look at your pics, some great action shots! But I love your landscapes too. Is there any benefit to shooting in b/w or do you convert colour shots to b/w in post-processing?

I convert after, but shoot quite a bit of 35mm and 120 film also

20D is a great little camera. You should be able to print up to 8x10 with ease as long as no major cropping is going on. The lens you purchased is a fine lens. You may find you need something down the road with more reach like the kit lens of the 55-250 (used about $200 or so).

Have fun and start shooting. Get some nice software that you can grow with like Photoshop, PhotoImpact or photo paint & learn it well.

have a blast.

20D is a great little camera. You should be able to print up to 8x10 with ease as long as no major cropping is going on. The lens you purchased is a fine lens. You may find you need something down the road with more reach like the kit lens of the 55-250 (used about $200 or so).

Have fun and start shooting. Get some nice software that you can grow with like Photoshop, PhotoImpact or photo paint & learn it well.

have a blast.

Thanks very much!

Got the camera, love it. Lens is obviously cheaply made but it'll do for now.

Am in the market for a zoom, it seems like you really need to spend a fair bit to get anything half decent (if you believe the reviews). Any recommendations much appreciated. (probably looking for in the 70-200 or 70-300 range). Canon's 70-200 L series looks nice, any others worth considering?

As for photo editing software, I picked up a used copy of Photoshop, a couple of versions old, but the original (genuine) CD on ebay for a song. I first made sure it was compatible with XP on my computer and then snapped it up.

The 20d is a good camera I think you did great. Always spend more money on Lens and less on bodies if you can.
The 50mm f1.8 is a great lens too for it's price. There are certainly better ones out there but for $100-$115 it's hard to beat.
It's the crack cocaine of the camera world and will get you hooked on fast glass.
Once you move into a different body you may find that it's a great camera to convert over to Infrared if you are into that sort of thing.

Last edited:
As to lenses, Canon makes some great lenses, and some not so great lenses. I have Canon, Tamron, and Sigma lenses. The main ones that I use are the Canon MP-E65, the Sig 150mm macro, and the Sig 120mm-400mm os zoom. You just need to research the lenses in the area that you plan to shoot in. Don't assume that because it is a Canon it is the best lens for your needs.

Most reactions

Back