New DSLR Camera Questions

SouthFork

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings. Just signed up to this board since it looked like a great place for information.

I also noticed its been a few weeks since the last D80 vs. K10D vs. ??? Thread, so I thought I should ask again. I read past threads to try to get a decision before posting this.

I currently have been shooting Nikon N80's for the past couple of years. I have had good success with them but now I want to get into the DSLR game.

I have read a ton of reviews and have narrowed it down to 3 choices for a Digital SLR.

1. Nikon D80

2. Rebel XTi

3. Pentax K10D

I would like to keep the cameras limited to these, unless there is something fantastic out there that I didn't come across. If YOU had your choice which one would you pick? I know the Pentax has the Image Stabilizer built in which I have heard is a bonus. I have read some user opinions and expert opinions, but I would like your opinions. Did you own one of these cameras and switch, or have you used one and absolutely loved it????

I will be using this camera for 100% outdoor shooting that involves scenery and mostly wildlife.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Since you've been shooting Nikon anyway, I wouldn't even consider anything but Nikon simple because you're already building up a system.

Agreed. My choice would be the K10d, but this is your choice... and if you have an N80 then presumably you also have a few Nikon lenses, in which case it would seem to make the most sense to buy into the Nikon digital SLR system too. Obviously if you no longer have any Nikon gear then that wouldn't be an issue, but if you do then I can't see much reason for going anywhere else.

On a basic comparison of features or specifications I believe the K10D is placed slightly above the D80 which in turn is above the XTI. The differences are not huge in terms of performance however and all are fantastic cameras. As for the anti-shake in the Pentax, well it is reasonably effective in my experience (with the K100d) although Canon and Nikon's lens-based systems are more effective but obviously cost more and are limited to IS/VR lenses. Basically it's nice to have the shake reduction system work with any lens, but it's not a feature that would make me switch brands. So back to my original point, if you're already invested in Nikon it makes most sense to stick with them, unless there's something specific you're not happy with.

Hi Southfork, let me throw a wrench in here. Sticking with Nikon if you have any F mount lenses is a good idea, but have you considered stepping up to the D200?

If you are going to be outside a lot then moisture and dust are going to be with you. The D200 has weather sealing (you do need an S lens with the gasket to complete the deal) a magnesium body for the occasional oops and 5 fps for those birds.

The difference in price between what you are looking at and the 200 can be found in a decent lens (the one you won't have to buy if you stick with Nikon.) Also you can use and meter with the older manual lenses with the 200 which will save you a ton of money on those longer telephotos.

Just a thought.

mike

I'm also going to throw a wrench into this discussion. When I bought my first DSLR, I was a fan of the, I'll get whatever I already have. But my experience right now has changed somewhat. It is important to consider what types of lenses you have now, and what you intend to buy in the future. For example, if you have a couple of basic lenses (maybe a hundred or so each) and plan on buying top of the line lenses eventually, then I would suggest buying the best camera body you can afford w/ a thought toward the glass you intend to get.

I would seriously consider the Sony A100. It's priced very competatively to the other offerings, has a great range of features, and you'll likely see lenses priced competatively for the next few years as Sony tries to build market share.

The one down-side is that if you buy into the Nikon or Canon lines, you already know what the top-of-the-line body looks like in terms of features and capabilities. With the Sony you have to wait till they get theirs to market.

However, based on the A100, it is not a huge leap of faith to think that the future for that line is rosey -- and right now the price is increadible.

Since the D200 was pointed out to have the gasketing, I;'d like to say that the K10D is gasketted and magnesium bodied as well. It's no professional body, but it does have the image shake reduction, and the self cleaning sensor too.

since you're already there, no doubt: nikon -well, unless you don't have but one single unworthy lens. in that case, you might as well forgot about that one lens and start from nothing, in which case any possibility could be considered. otherwise, nikon, and not only you keep your lenses and save money but also continue with a brand you're already accustomed to use.

by the way, I'd also second the d200. definitely if you have older lenses that the d80 won't meter with

Most reactions

New Topics

Back