New Flash or a Tripod?

So should I get a tripod first?

If the subject(s) of your shots is/are not moving, yes, you should get a tripod first. Bought mine used for $15. They'll range from $10 to $50 used many times.

Tripod gives you really long exposures. Anything under 1/125th a second will possibly degrade in quality due to camera-shake when hand-holding your camera. You can help support your hands or arms in various ways to help reduce it.

The tripod will allow you to go with the various shutter speed options or you can use a remote release to "hold" the shutter open in BULB mode for night photography if your camera doesn't go beyond 1 or 2 second shutter speeds.

I agree with going for a Tripod first. Use mine all the time for landscape stuff. Use it inside for longer exposure that would be tough hand held.

If you are going to shoot nature and landscape, I'd say invest in a tripod(+ a remote release). I have a SLIK that costs around $110 on Amazon. It's light and fairly stable. I see that you have a D3000 and suppose your equipment is pretty light. I don't think you need a heavy duty tripod now. HOWEVER, DO NOT buy those $50 ones with plastic bracket and mount. I learnt my lesson the hard way. You don't want your camera tumbling down when the plastic mount breaks apart.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back