New + Frist SLR - Equestrian Pics + CC Welcome

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Agfa, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Agfa

Agfa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Just bought my first SLR - SONY A200 with both 30-70mm lens + 70 - 300mm lens!

Still getting to grips with camera and learning how to improve my photos but here are some that I have taken in the past few days :D

Nothing wonderfull atm but all CC welcome as want to improve :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glass wine if you got this far :mrgreen:

2. jbeanv

jbeanv TPF Noob!

Some of them look a little blurry to me and the cropping is awkward in some. The last one creeps me out for some reason :p The second to the last has the best color imo.

3. JE Kay

JE Kay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As someone who shoots a lot of equine images I can offer only one, and what I think is the best piece of advice.

Don't shoot images like the other 8 billion other people who photograph horses.... ;) Find different angles, try off lighting... etc. When I took my first horsey shots, I thought they were great, and they were technically good, then someone I know who's been photographing horses for like 30 years, says, 'yes, they're nice, they look like every other horse photo on the web and in most publications'. She was right, I went and had a good look around for a couple of days, what an eye opener.

It is hard to avoid sometimes, but even just lowering the camera by a foot can make a big difference in most shots.

This wasn't meant to be harsh or anything, just hoping to save you a lot of plain looking photos that you'll look over one day and go, 'geeze, ya these are pretty dull!' :mrgreen:

In saying that, number 4 is nice, interesting. :thumbup:

4. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You had some great subject matter to work with, but I am not digging the really tight headshot crops myself.

5. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The second one is clearly the best in my opinion. It reminds me of a Tim Flach shot, you should look at his work and get some ideas.