New Group Request

Ah I see... and I do remember... that was a long time ago and I never understood the reasons behind the changes.

As I understand...

We went from have a well defined design to a confusing one in hopes to separate the elitist crowd with no patience and the beginners who can't search. Only to end up with both the elitists and beginners posting everywhere haphazardly.

I really do appreciate the efforts made here... I just think this is one example when the "customer" isn't always right....

<chuckle>

And thus the current plan rears it's ugly head again.

Member driven=leave it the way it is, shut up, stop complaining, we're not changing it.

Too funny.
If you read what was said up there, I am only pointing out that we've gone down this path many, many times.

Groups is a recent enhancement of vB. We DO encourage the place to be member-driven so you can create your own guidelines in certain areas where it's difficult to gain consensus.

What of it?

If you want to sneer at my explanations because they're not suiting your immediate needs, you are free to do so. But do not put words in my mouth.

I'm not sneering at your explanations, nor am I putting words in your mouth. This is my interpretation of the current position on this issue.

I understand full well you've been down this road a million times. What's more is that I guarantee that if you change it again, that people will undoubtably complain and say it's not the right way. Yet... does that necessarily mean we should lock it down? And if we're locking it down... is this really the "best way"? Or is this just the way we wound up with when we decided that all these changes back and forth were kinda silly?

There was a study done years ago where they were trying to determine the effect of lighting on assembly-line workers. The started with flourescants (I believe)... they changed to incandescants... productivity spiked... then eventually slacked off. They went "hmm, let's change them to another kind of light!" and changed it to a third kind... productivity spiked... and then slacked off again. Then they went "Wait a second..." and switched them back to flourescants. Guess what happened? Yup. Productivity spiked, and then slacked off.

In the end they actually determined that productivity was affected by any change, so long as it was genuinely felt that the change was intended to bring some kind of positive gain.

There's a lesson in there somewhere, I think.

I know you guys have limited time and I respect that. That being said just telling us that we're not going to change something because we've been there before yadda yadda yadda just doesn't fly with everyone. Obviously and certainly not me.

Sorry.

Ah I see... and I do remember... that was a long time ago and I never understood the reasons behind the changes.

As I understand...

We went from have a well defined design to a confusing one in hopes to separate the elitist crowd with no patience and the beginners who can't search. Only to end up with both the elitists and beginners posting everywhere haphazardly.

I really do appreciate the efforts made here... I just think this is one example when the "customer" isn't always right....
This could well be the case here. You've been around long enough to recall the flaps and the various arguments for this v that. ;) What pleases one groups is bound to displease another. There are always repercussions, given any action.

Ok, so I will reiterate my suggestion in my last post, since no one has addressed it as of yet. Why not take the Photo Gallery wording out of the Beginners form, and leave it as a discussion form only in the Discussion Forum section and instruct people to post their photos for critique in the proper Photo Gallery section, since it states it is for critique?

I guess I don't see the problems with doing that and it would clear up the mass of posts in the beginners form of photos and leave the questions and discussion in a discussion forum. :confused:

I guess that this is a dead issue then since none of the moderators answered my last post.

They answered with the same one they have been for a while now... "people keep asking us to change stuff, so we're not doing it anymore".

Most reactions

Back