New guy here with a lens question

ScottWy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Of course, what do I do, just as soon as I register?

Why, post a question that has been asked a few thousand times, more than likely.

I have a Nikon D 50 which I have been using for a few years now. I liked low light landscapes, so I bought a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. It has served me well.

3102453012_63c933b02b.jpg

Recently I have been attempting to photo the local speedway. I am Ok as long as the sun stays out.

3667799090_667b4325d7.jpg

Of course you need a fast shutter speed for this type of photos. The later it gets, the higher the ISO gets, until I have to pack it in. Another problem is DOF, I would like to stay at f8 as long as possible.

I have been considering another lens, but my budget is an embarrasment. I could swing a 50mm lens, but I would like more zoom than that.

Does anybody have some ideas that I could shop around for?

Maybe a different camera, with a higher useful ISO is something I should consider. Now that the D300 is out, are there any good buys on a D200?

I am just thinking out loud right now, and looking for suggestions. This is just a hobby for me, and I cannot justify spending thousands on it.

Also, if anyone would care to critique these 2 photos, I would be very interested.

I am also confused about setting a custom white balance on the D50. There is a setting that asks if you want to use an existing photo, or take a new one. I tried using a blank photo paper to use a new one, but did not see that great of a result. Does anyone have a link about WB for Dummies, or the equivilent?

Thanks in advance!!

Oh one more photo. I wanted to see what full size looks like on the forum.

3650084340_06b4c8803c_b.jpg

Critique for all three

1. The picture of the dam- I like everything about this photo except for the power lines in the sky. I would clone those out in photoshop or gimp if you know how.

2. race cars- This photo does not do much for me. I like the lighting but it makes the exhaust fumes pop in this picture. I like your use of the RoT whether it was intentional or not.

3. Dandelion- Need a larger DoF which would put the top of the dandelion in focus. It is a little out of focus. That's it. The composition isn't great. Try to get shots that no one has seen before. I've seen that one a million times.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back