New Irix 15mm f/2.4 seems pretty exciting

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if it's worth the money over my old-school Tokina 17/3.5SL if all I'm gaining is less than 7° FOV.

Not sure if it's worth the money over my old-school Tokina 17/3.5SL if all I'm gaining is less than 7° FOV.
If you've already got an UWA that suits your needs i would imagine it wouldn't be worth the change. I personally would like wider than 17mm, but that's me. I was looking at the bower/samyang/rokinon 15mm, but it suffers from quite bad complex distortion at close focusing distances, so I went away from that choice. If the price is reasonable, with the added usefulness of being ready to accept front filters and rear gel filters, I think it may be a good contender for what I'm looking for.

........... I personally would like wider than 17mm, but that's me...........

Then take a gander at the Siggy 12-24.
I forgot to mention I want a large max aperture... Otherwise the Sigma would be an excellent option. I would of course love the Nikon 14-24, but it's cost prohibitive and filter options are an added cost and quite cumbersome.

Looking at their web page for the new Irix f/2.4 lens, it looks like this one might be designed for optical quality and performance, as well as some neat features. The DOF scale is of a type I have never seen before, with good markings, but also a neat Hyperfocal Distance index, with points for f/16, f/11, and f/8 on a separate scale. It also uses rear-mount gelatin filters if desired, using 30x30mm squares that slide into a receptacle, and it has an infinity click, as well as a focus distance lock.

Since the new lens has a 95mm front filter size, the ability to use 30x30mm rear gelatin filters is a nice touch for people who would want to use affordable gelatin sheets for color correction, light balancing, or neutral density uses.

There are TWO lines of this lens, the Irix Blackstone, and also a lighter weight version, the Irix Firefly. What caught my eye was the glass: 15 elements in 11 groups three high refractive index glass, two of Extra-low Dispersion glass elements, and two aspherical elements.

Looking at their web page for the new Irix f/2.4 lens, it looks like this one might be designed for optical quality and performance, as well as some neat features. The DOF scale is of a type I have never seen before, with good markings, but also a neat Hyperfocal Distance index, with points for f/16, f/11, and f/8 on a separate scale. It also uses rear-mount gelatin filters if desired, using 30x30mm squares that slide into a receptacle, and it has an infinity click, as well as a focus distance lock.

Since the new lens has a 95mm front filter size, the ability to use 30x30mm rear gelatin filters is a nice touch for people who would want to use affordable gelatin sheets for color correction, light balancing, or neutral density uses.

There are TWO lines of this lens, the Irix Blackstone, and also a lighter weight version, the Irix Firefly. What caught my eye was the glass: 15 elements in 11 groups three high refractive index glass, two of Extra-low Dispersion glass elements, and two aspherical elements.
Based on the specs, it's certainly shaping up to be a very attractive lens. The low distortion and seemingly good optical construction definitely were attractive features. Now we wait for the reviews of production models and pricing!

I believe that's the most beautiful lens I've ever seen. Pricing, though... :eek-73:

The company ALSO has an 11mm f/4 prime coming. Both are on display at The Photography Show (in Birmingham, England) right now. One thing I notice is that their lenses focus the proper direction for their respective mounts! The 15mm f/2.8 can be seen in proper Nikon/Pentax/Leica focusing direction, as well as proper Canon focusing direction.

Irix 15mm f/2.4 Wide-angle Lens Announced

Shows a couple shots of the 15mm, plus the "coming soon" 11mm f/4 model.

The pessimist in me is bracing for a $1500+ price tag with all these good specs and features. :apologetic::grumpy:

Neutrino coating?

Pfffft. Gimme Higgs boson coating. Or, at least, quark coating.

I'll be shocked if this lens doesn't have stellar performance. I mean... look at it... :drool2:

Most reactions

Back