New Lens 1st shoot *c&c please*

nmaynard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This was my first time doing a serious person shoot. Just now getting into shooting people and have a lot to learn. This was also the first time I used my new Canon 24-70 f/2.8L :D

All shot with Canon XTi w/ 24-70 f/2.8L

Please give me your honest and cruel feedback. Wanting to one day make a career out of this so I need to learn!

I know it's a lot of images so just comment on the ones you want.

**NEW EDITS**

IMG_6980.jpg

IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6938.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6967.jpg

IMG_6987.jpg

Last edited:
overall, not bad
for full length - don't forget to still maintain rule of two thirds.

I'm a flash/stobe shooter 9/10 times thus for outdoors, speed us the shutterspeed with off-camera flash (via umbrella, softbox, even bare bulb) gives a nice look.

Honest and cruel, you say? Okay!

Your photos are harsh. Is that the lens, or did you overwork them?

Otherwise, I like the photos. You seem to have a nice rapport with the model. In #9 the camera looks tilted, and it think it would be a better shot if the rest of the girl was in view.

Honest and cruel, you say? Okay!

Your photos are harsh. Is that the lens, or did you overwork them?

Otherwise, I like the photos. You seem to have a nice rapport with the model. In #9 the camera looks tilted, and it think it would be a better shot if the rest of the girl was in view.

What exactly do you mean by harsh? One thing I think I did overdo is sharpening. I did the same amount I used to do with my other lens which is probably unnecessary with this lens. And I also probably pushed them too much.

Just did a quick re-edit.

NEW Edit vs OLD Edit

sxscomp.jpg

Last edited:
Feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt, as I am highly amateur.

The ones that I really liked were 6-10. Especially 6. I think the biggest difference between the ones I liked and the ones I did not was the background and the framing. The background in 6, and the framing was excellent. I did not particularly like the framing in the first 3 or the background in 4. It just felt...generic. And to be honest, I'm not sure why the background in the others felt more unique, even though they could likely be found in just about any city.

Mel

No 6 and 10 are my favorite.

Go easy on the processing, they do look a little over-done. Hard to quantify, but I know it's not the lens, I use the same one.

Other than what's already been said, keep the head in a clean spot, pay attention to background detail.
I also like 6 and 10 best.

Thank you all for the critiques. I'm going back and starting from the RAW again and am liking them a LOT better now!

I'm so used to having to edit my photos a good bit. But with this lens they are almost perfect straight from the camera. I was thinking that can't be right but now that I have gone back and re-did a few from RAW I can clearly see that is the case.

I can only imagine what this lens is like on a good body.

Can't wait to shoot again to work on my composition. Any tips as far as body position goes?

Colors or processing looks a bit "off" in some of them.

Number four is my favorite though.

Overall theyre pretty good, but alot of them seem over exposed IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back