New lens needed, please help

paranoic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello guys,

i bought my very first dslr eos 1100d with kit lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 iii without stabilisor. so far i have learned very much about DSLR usage, and now i have need to improve my pictures quality. so i started searching for newer and better lens but i am insecure about it, mostly because i want to buy sigma or tamron f2.8 lens, around 18-55 focal lenght, because of my low budget. what is te best way to choose right lens, and MOST important, will i get better picture quality like portrait clearance, which i am not satisfied at this point with my kit lens. of course i would not shoot portraits only, i want to use it for all other motives.

I would appreciate any help, so thanks in advance.

Cheers

Since you already have 18-55 Non IS I would prefer to go for Canon 55-250 IS - this might full fill your need as it's cheap, has good focal length and ideal for distant & portrait photography.

I won't be suggesting you to go for "L" series since its about "BIG BUCKS" and surely you don't want to scratch at this very moment.

If you're looking for large aperture and on budget you can also go for Canon 50mm 1.8.

Look it up from Amazon, I've bought 2 of my lenses from there and i wouldnt complain about them. :D

I would recommend the Canon 17-55 f2.8. It is considered the L lenses for crop sensored bodies. It is more on the expensive end but you mentioned that you want better picture quality. Check out Amazon for reviews on the lens.

What is your budget?
$600 after MIR -> Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF
$734 -> Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
$1099 -> Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM

Most reactions

Back