New lens or new camera?

You asked me this on my profile page (which I didn't even realize was a thing) but just so all the info is in one place:

I'd rank your most sensible options as:

1) use what you already have. T1i + kit lens and/or camera phone.

2) t1i + 28mm pancake lens. It's a fun lens. Used to own one and liked it, but am getting rid of my canon rig, so I sold it about three weeks ago. (Sold it for $100 fwiw). It's a fun lens. You don't need it, but do we really *need* almost any of the gear we buy? The f/2.8 is great for street.

3) Ricoh, LX100 or used X100/X100S. All great cameras with very different strengths. The LX100 is the most versatile (zoom), but also has the lowest IQ (still very good IQ, but the Ricoh and the fuji are standouts and beat most aps-c dslrs in image quality. The X100 has the best image quality and is all around a better camera than the Ricoh. The ricoh has great IQ, but is wider than what most people are after, but it's also cheaper.

DO NOT) intro/cheapie small sensor mirrorless. They're just not worth it. They're not really better than a camera phone and they don't have the added stealth advantage that a camera phone has where it just looks like you're texting.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back