New lens, sort of confused.

ChrisJuliano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so I will be getting a d80 soon (I have a d40 now) and decided to help out my local airsoft forum by photographing a big event in feb.

So I am wondering if I should buy a new lens or if my 50mm is perfect.

Just for people who dont know what airsoft is, its like paintball, and would be held outdoor in the snow.

I would like to keep a distance from the players (20-40 feet).

If the 50mm is not good, what lens would I be able to use for this + a general use lens when I go on vacation.

Help is appreciated.

It really depends on what the situation is. What are the expectations of the field? It sounds like you're just helping them out with some small time publicity in which case I don't see any need for you to go out of your way and spend money on a lens just for the occasion.

Well I am doing this for fun, I dont feel like playing that day so I decided I could take pics.

Most of the time its just a kid with a p&s so they just want pics being taken.

But I thought I could get some nice pics if I did it, and I would only buy a lens if I could also find it very useful when I go on vacations or just general photography.

I already have a sigma 105mm macro lens + 50mm f1.8

I would think that your 105mm would be better suited for this, so that you won't have to be so close.

Ideally, I'd want to shoot with something like a 70-200mm lens, or maybe something longer.

But its a macro lens.

Hmm I wouldnt really ever use a telephoto lens if I bought it, just for this situtation.

So wouldnt really be worth it.

Hi

out of my collection of lenses I would choose the 18 - 200 VR lens, a good all round lens.
I have a D80 & try to keep it on all the time, my back up D50 I use a longer or wider lens to suit - but I love to experiment & challenge myself.
Tried once on a canal walk with a 170-500 & a 10-20mm on the bodies, interesting because ifI had a 3rd body with the 18-200 would have been usefull, enjoy it.

graham

just looked thru your flickr images - very nice - keep on shooting.

Last edited:
Thanks, maybe I will look into a cheap $130 nikon telephoto.

Hmm that seems like it would be a good choice for this stuff.

But its a macro lens.
Just about every 'macro' lens can be used just like a 'normal' lens...the difference is that it can also be used for macro when needed.

Ahh ic, when I tried using it as anything but macro the detail wasnt so great.

I am thinking I could get the nikon telephoto for christmas with my d80.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back