New Lens Tomorrow - Need Help Deciding

Renair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.renebruunphotographer.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What does your photography require? do you often need to go beyond 300mm?

Sorry, I don't have personal experience with either but I have enough general lens experience to comment.

The first lens is not only faster but will be better optically because of the design. It is simply a better lens. On a digital camera, the great majority of your telephoto shooting will be below 170mm any way. The second one might be an option to add later to the first one but I wouldn't allow it to replace it.

I would buy the first one and, if I needed more reach, I would add a 1.5X converter to the set up. 300mm on a digital camera is long enough that controlling it for sharpness is more than trivial. 500mm is downright challenging.

In my experience, the 1.4 or 1.5X teleconverters are pretty good optically and only cut the light by a single f stop. The 2X in my experience are not so good. I think most digital photographers would be served pretty well at the long end with the first zoom and the converter. I would steer clear of the slow, extreme second zoom.

fmw said:
The first lens is not only faster but will be better optically because of the design. It is simply a better lens. On a digital camera, the great majority of your telephoto shooting will be below 170mm any way. The second one might be an option to add later to the first one but I wouldn't allow it to replace it.

This makes a lot of sense! I have not used this lens but from what I read about you will be buying a sharp lens with the right zoom range and it's FAST!
Good luck on your decision...

Renair said:
Ok, the 70-200mm it is. Funny, it costs more then my D70 is to buy now!

I own 6 lenses for the digital SLR system. All but two cost more than a D70 and one of them cost the same. The lenses are what make the image. Spending more for lenses than cameras is actually the best way. Good shooting.

Thanks guys, funnily enough the last comment fmw is exactly what the guy in the camera store said. Needless to say, I paid for and tomorrow collect the 70-200mm

In the words of Homer Simpson when he saw a hotdog with all the trimmings..." ooooh baby!"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back