480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Happy Post Office Truck just stopped by with my new lens!

I'm pumped up!

This has got to be the smallest and lightest lens I've ever bought (at least brand new!)

pinhole.jpg

Yep..... all of 0.3mm!

Just a quick one of the back yard:

First%20Pinhole.jpg

Looks like fun to me. Where did you get it? How does it mount on what camera? You have my interest.

Phil

Looks like fun to me. Where did you get it? ..............

0 3mm Laser Drilled Pinhole Photography Camera for Large Format 4x5 5x7 8x10 eBay

How does it mount on what camera? ..............

Drill a ¼" hole (roughly) in the center of a body cap. Attach pinhole to cap. Install cap, and shoot in full manual mode.

Pinhole%20mount%201.jpg

Pinhole%20Mount%202.jpg

Bear in mind, there is not one 'universal' size pinhole. The size is determined by the distance from the pinhole to the imaging surface. Too large or too small a hole will result in blurier images. So the size of the hole is important.

The formula is the square root of (0.0016 * pinhole to imaging surface distance). As Nikons Flange-to-focal plane distance is 46.5mm, I estimated that a pinhole placed on the back of a body cap would be roughly 50mm. So, the math works out to SqRt(0.0016*50), or 0.2828mm. 0.3 was close enough.

If I were to put this on 100mm of extension tubes, I would narrow the field of view, but I would see a visible loss of image quality. I should use a 0.5mm [SqRt(0.0016*150)] pinhole. But I prefer the FOV this one give me.

There are two other important factors to consider. One is the roundness of the hole itself. This one was made with a laser so it's perfectly round. Yes, you can use a sewing needle or fishhook, but the more irregular the hole gets, the more the image suffers.

The last factor is the thickness of the material the hole is in. As the medium gets thicker, you effectively make the hole smaller (imagine looking through a toilet-paper tube, then a paper towel tube, and finally through a tube from a roll of giftwrap paper). Too thick, and the projected image won't cover the sensor or film frame.

Yes, you can make your own, and there's a billion YouTube videos showing you how to use a soda can or aluminum foil for a medium, and the aforementioned needle or fishhook. And you don't really need to sacrifice a body cap.... just use a thick, dark material (such as a plastic report cover from an office supply store cut with scissors) with a hole cut/drilled/punched out for the pinhole material. A little black electrical tape will hold the hole to the dark material, and the entire 'assembly' to the camera, and you're all set to go. Just don't expect too much when you create your own home-made set-up.

I opted for this, as it was a whopping $11.59 shipped. I have a large supply of body caps as I buy them online in bulk.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
And we did this because.....................:icon_confused:

And we did this because.....................:icon_confused:

..........it's fun.

..........it's cheap.

..........it's possible.

..........it's a learning process.

..........it can inspire others.

..........it's a different look.

..........it's how photography got started.

Thanks for the information. I was a Cub Scout in the 50's, we made pin hole cameras using coffee cans. I'll add this to the list of things to do after the house refurb projects.

Phil

I tried using one. It annoyed me to bits.
No more "toy lenses" for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back