New pentax camera

mattoxcw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought an A3000 pentax in highschool from a local pawnshop. It has a vertical line through every picture I develop, regardless of the lense. I'm going to buy another camera off of ebay, and would like to buy another pentax so I can use all of my lenses. What would be a good choice of a newer chassis? Most all of my photography is outdoors, ie rodeos, car races, wildlife, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't have to buy a brand new camera, just something that operates well, and isn't made out of porcelain. Thanks.

also, since I'm used to the a3000, I wouldn't be above buying another one. Is it a quality camera? or could I get better pictures from something else?

The only Pentaxes I ever had were a K1000 and an auto focus that I can't remember the number of. I was very happy with both. Just went digital and Pentax didn't have a digital SLR I could afford at the time.

What are you looking for in a pentax? Are you looking for a modern model? Do you want the fancy bells and whistles? (which ones?) How much are you looking to spend?

Really, I'm just looking for a camera that I don't have to be afraid to take outdoors. I enjoyed the old camera, but I would like to upgrade since I'm buying again. As far as cost, I'm probably going to buy off of ebay...so you know how that goes. As far as bells and whistles, autofocus would be nice, but I think that that would be out of my price range. Just need something that will take quality pictures.

mattoxcw said:
Really, I'm just looking for a camera that I don't have to be afraid to take outdoors. I enjoyed the old camera, but I would like to upgrade since I'm buying again. As far as cost, I'm probably going to buy off of ebay...so you know how that goes. As far as bells and whistles, autofocus would be nice, but I think that that would be out of my price range. Just need something that will take quality pictures.

I have a Pentax PZ-20 and a Pentax PZ-10, both AF 35mm SLRs. I bought the PZ-10 as a back-up body from Ebay for under $100.00. You should be able to find something around that price, even if you'll have to wait a couple of weeks or so.

I just purchased a 75-300mm APO Sigma zoom for the Pentax AF and I love it, I think I might just try to earn some extra $$ so I can get a Pentax *istD body.

mattoxcw said:
It has a vertical line through every picture I develop, regardless of the lense.

By vertical do you mean running the long way (down the length of the roll of film) or the short way (across the film)? Is it light or dark?

Really, I'm just looking for a camera that I don't have to be afraid to take outdoors

For durable all around outdoor use I look for two things in a camera: as much of the operation as possible should be mechanical, and it should be cheap. Mechanical cameras have less issues with moisture and temperature than electronic models. If the body is so pricey that I'll miss the shot instead of putting the camera in potential danger, then it's no good.

The K1000 has always been a favorite of mine, although because they are trendy/collectable they run a bit more than many other similar SLRs are costing these days. On the other end of the spectrum is the LX, which I think is still going for $300+ for a body, but if you could find a deal...

Combining the factors Pentax, cheap, mechanical, and durable I can't help think about Pentax Spotmatic cameras. Unfortunately they use an older screw lens mount instead of the bayonet mount of your more modern lenses. There is an adapter that allows the screw mount lenses to be used on modern K-mount bodies. Then again, Spotmatic bodies and lenses (Super Takumar) are so cheap, you might be able to start over, or get one as a second camera. I have 2 Spotmatics which are my 35mm SLRs of choice for adverse conditions: pooring rain, rock climbing, punk rock show, etc...

thank you for all of your advice It is much appreciated.

Any of the new ones will be better then the a3000. If I remember correctly you could'nt adjust your exposure on the a3000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back