New to DSLR's---need some advice Please!?

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking around for dslr cameras--and at first I was looking at the Nikon D3000, vs the Canon Rebel XSi. But I've grown kind of fond towards the Nikon D5000 now. I'm pulled towards either---not sure which one would suit me more, or be best for me ( as I know nothing about them). I've researched for hours today comparing specs---

I'd prefer something with best resolution and MP's and in a kit with a lense. What ever lense is standard or best.

Does anyone have advice or ideas? Is appriciate it a ton!!

Lesson one. Mps don't matter.
Ok now that that's out of the way, the kit lenses that come with any of these cameras are nearly identical be it the nikons or the canon.
Best thing you can do, go to a store, handle the cameras and definitely play with the menu system as much as you can. That will be the make or break for you. I promise.
Good luck.

I live in a small town where visiting any of the retails stores who offer these cameras... are not available to me. ( without driving 2 hours )

So i have been reading reviews, watching videos, looking at pictures as closely as i can.. Trying to make a decision based off of the internet.

... anyone who owns these may be able to give me a little advice?

....So MP's Dont matter? Whether its 10.0 MP, 12.0 Mp or 15.0 MP's??
I was hesitating on the D3000 because it lacked several options from what i had read. And it was only 10 MP...

Im so confused!

Here is a side-by-side technical image quality evaluation of the Rebel XSi (aka Rebel 450D) and the newer Nikon D5000.

Compare cameras

The Nikon has significantly wider dynamic range of 12.5 f/stops, while the Canon has a narrower dynamic range that tests out at 10.8 stops; that is enough of a difference to 'make a difference'. The Nikon shoots at 4 frames per second, the Canon at 3.5 frames per second.

In overall sensor performance, the Rebel scores 60.6, the D5000 scores 72.0 points. The Rebel has an ISO range of 100 to 1600. The Nikon has an ISO range of 100 to 6400. The D5000 with 18-55 kit lens is available from Adorama for $524 as of today.

While I would obviously support you buying Nikon, I still think it will be worth your while to make the drive one day and play with the cameras. You would be amazed at how a camera "feels" and operates varies from person to person. I think the Nikons are easy and intuitive to use, but, some people do not. If you are getting ready to drop more than half a grand on something, make sure you make the right choice. It would be worth the 25 dollars in gas I promise.

And no, megapixels really don't matter. I shoot with 10. Have I ever needed that many, no. You generally gain two things from having more megapixels, better cropping abilities(good), and more noise(bad). That is generally speaking.

It cost me about 60 bucks to drive to the closet area that has any camera retail. the walmart here doesnt have them. I have had a chance to play with my Aunts Nikon D90 and i fell in love with it!

re: The Nikon D5000--- Adorama for $524 , I checked it out. and its refurbished.

Im not exactly sure how the whole " refurbished" thing works... id be affraid it wouldn't work correctly. .. i guess if it had a warranty itd be a pretty good deal.
I am trying to find the Warranty Information on this refurbished camera. That would be my main concern.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the refurbished Nikon camera's come with a 90 day warranty. And that's $524 for the body only so you will need to buy a lens to go along with it.

I am pretty sure the refurbished Nikon camera's come with a 90 day warranty. And that's $524 for the body only so you will need to buy a lens to go along with it.

Uh, NO, it's a Nikon D5000 refurbished by Nikon USA, and a Nikon 18-55mm Vibration Reduction zoom lens for $524.95. It comes with a lens. here is the URL.

INKD5000RD Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Kit - Refurbished - by Nikon U.S.A. with Nikon 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX (VR) Vibration Reduction Wide Angle Autofocus Zoom Lens, - Refurbished - by Nikon U.S.A.

Refurbished items have been returned to Nikon. Nikon goes through each item and hand-checks and tests the equipment for its tolerance to specification and or adjustment. This is on good authority from customer service representatives from both Adorama, and B&H Photo. Nikon USA refurbished items have been *individually* checked over--this is not the case with "new" goods, which are spot-checked as a product class or model type,with random samples pulled and examined for QA defects, specifications,etc.

The fine people who buy new cameras, shoot them for a weekend wedding,
and then return them under the Best Buy, Costco, or other stores' generous return policies are the cause of a HUGE amount of refurbished photography goods. Some refurbished equipment has been damaged and repaired as well: I bought a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AF-D prime lens eight or nine years ago, and it had a very,very slight dent in the lens hood,and I could see where it had been bent back into roundness, but the lens had obviously hit something. I payed about $175 below full retail on the lens, in the traditional Nikon gray "refurbished" colored box. The price for a Nikon refurb is lower than a new retail item, and part of the "cost" is a shortened warranty for the customer.

Canon's Rebel XSI is $550 new with kit lens on most online retail stores... newegg.com, amazon b&h....

i have the xsi and i love it! i like canon because their lenses seem to be cheaper... my 50mm f/1.8 cost me $90 when i got it but now it is $100, while nikon's version is about $150.

either one is good though... its not the equipment that makes excellent photos, its the creative eye that does

Most reactions

New Topics

Back