New to everything

Glass To The Arson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
New to TPF and photography in general. Just got my D40 yesterday and only shooting in auto so let me know how they look for auto settings.

The first is not too bad.
The second is out of focus
The third is interesting but could do with a different setting/background

How to do plan on moving from the auto to the manual settings?

The first is not too bad.
The second is out of focus
The third is interesting but could do with a different setting/background

How to do plan on moving from the auto to the manual settings?
Whenever I figure it out or someone can tell me some good "all around" manual settings if thats possible?

When I got my D80, I didnt even use the auto.. I wouldnt let myself have all this control of my equipment, and let the camera decide... The main things to learn first off are the effects / results you will get from shutter speed and aperture. Just find a subject and shoot it at different aperture and shutter speed settings, and look at the images so you can tell how much difference each click makes. Once you start understanding that, youll start feeling more comfortable with your equipment, and eventually move on to learning other, more complex things.

Remember.. shutter speed - the longer your speed is set the longer the shutter stays open allowing light to come in to expose the image... ( If you let too much light in the image will be to bright.. If its darker outside or where your shooting you should shoot at lower shutter speeds. And the brighter you can shoot faster.

Aperture is how " big " the "eye" is open. Remember the SMALLER the number the BIGGER the openening ( like gauges ). Again if youre pictures are too bright.. Try closing the aperture some.. or vise versa... Think if it like an eye... If you look at the sun with your eyes wide open its gonna be bright and not pleasant... If you squint your eyes more closes.. Less light will get in and it wont be as bright and unpleasant.

I hope this makes as much sense to you as it does to me :D

I'm new here too and not a pro at photography so I can't really give you any good advice... but I just wanted to say that I personally really like the first picture with the water drop and everything. Really nice concept :sillysmi:
Take more pics !

When I got my D80, I didnt even use the auto.. I wouldnt let myself have all this control of my equipment, and let the camera decide... The main things to learn first off are the effects / results you will get from shutter speed and aperture. Just find a subject and shoot it at different aperture and shutter speed settings, and look at the images so you can tell how much difference each click makes. Once you start understanding that, youll start feeling more comfortable with your equipment, and eventually move on to learning other, more complex things.

Remember.. shutter speed - the longer your speed is set the longer the shutter stays open allowing light to come in to expose the image... ( If you let too much light in the image will be to bright.. If its darker outside or where your shooting you should shoot at lower shutter speeds. And the brighter you can shoot faster.

Aperture is how " big " the "eye" is open. Remember the SMALLER the number the BIGGER the openening ( like gauges ). Again if youre pictures are too bright.. Try closing the aperture some.. or vise versa... Think if it like an eye... If you look at the sun with your eyes wide open its gonna be bright and not pleasant... If you squint your eyes more closes.. Less light will get in and it wont be as bright and unpleasant.

I hope this makes as much sense to you as it does to me :D
It makes a little sense and helps me understand what each does. Thank you.

I'm new here too and not a pro at photography so I can't really give you any good advice... but I just wanted to say that I personally really like the first picture with the water drop and everything. Really nice concept :sillysmi:
Take more pics !
Thanks man.

Just messing around a little C&C. Let me know which you like the best. I personally like my approach on the first shot through the fence hole but something is bothering me about it. I like the flower too, great colors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back