New toy

Lottie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For a while, I’ve been wanting to get a decent printer to print holiday snaps etc and put in albums. Got so many usb sticks and and working through filling external hard drives now, and for what? To never enjoy looking back at those memories as I can never find what I want (not the best at organising especially when it comes to technology - when my laptop is full, I just transfer all my pics onto storage never to be seen again). So, yesterday I finally went out and got a decent printer and some nice photo papers.

I actually wanted to buy a compact camera too, as so often when out and about I see something I want to snap, or a beautiful sunset, and I don’t have my camera on me - there’s no such thing as just taking my camera, there’s always at least one or two lenses too. So I wanted a compact that I can just keep in my bag as a step up from phone camera. I didn’t tell hubby, as me in a camera shop or shoe shop makes him a little jittery! I had a camera in mind, and two others to compare it to. Would you believe both camera shops and a big electrical/tech store had nothing whatsoever except some (not by any means, all) mirrorless and DSLR’s and on the other end of the scale as many instant cameras you could imagine - but no compacts. Well, one, but it wasn’t what I was looking for. Seems I’ve been living under a rock as I was totally unaware of the so called chip crisis. When I got home, I searched the websites of every camera shop I could find in the country. Then searched neighbouring Belgium, France and Germany - all the same 😲. Hubby is relieved - me, less so! I even searched countless second hand sites - plenty to choose from if you’re willing to pay double the new price - I’m not. Anyway, all was not lost, as I have a new toy: (The photo bomber is Brutus, who will no doubt bark at it once we get it actually printing!)

6579FECE-BC75-4E1D-8D6A-BF7508B46508.jpeg

It’s sat on my lounge floor at the moment as I need to get a stronger desk to put it on

Congrats on the new printer. If you want a small camera with a fixed lens, look into Sony RX100 series. I have the iii & the iv. They are a pro compact. New they are pricey, but used could find at a reasonable price. I used mine for video, time-lapse, and photos. The compact camera is good for travel or have in your bag.

I bought a $200 sports camera to use underwater and for the grandkids to play with because of the shock proof. I am not happy with the photo quality.

If you want something compact and better than a cell then I think a used Sony RX100s or something similar would be good. Do your local stores have Open Box? I found one of the Sony's online at a big box store that was 30 miles away.

Thank you! Funny you suggest the Sony RX100, as that was one the cameras I was considering, along with Canon G7 and Fujifilm X100V. The G7 was my last choice, but the other two being so different, I’m undecided. I think having a zoom lens is probably more useful, but the small aperture and fixed 35mm lens of the Fuji is very appealing. One of my favourite lenses is the Canon RF 35mm. It seems the Fujifilm is almost impossible to get hold of anyway. As for the Sony and Canon, they are out of stock everywhere over here too, so it looks like I’ll have to order from Amazon US, and simply pay the customs fees - as well as buy battery charger separately. I’m thinking I’ll go for the Sony, just because it’s more versatile.

We don’t have Open Box here, not that I’ve ever seen anyway. Literally the other day, in two camera shops and a big tech store, even the display models had gone! I live right next to the German border, and 20 minutes from Belgian border, but it’s the same there too. Some delivery problem with parts - and I guess because it’s holiday time isn’t helping as everyone’s buying cameras. I’ve often bought display items - no open box. Think I moved to the wrong country!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back