New TSA inspections, now anything larger than cell phone comes out!

I can't remember the last time I didn't have to pull my laptop out of my bag.

But this is more than your laptop. This is your iPad, your camera bodies, flash units, some lenses, etc.

If you're traveling with a decent sized camera bag this is a royal PITA.

I can't remember the last time I didn't have to pull my laptop out of my bag.

But this is more than your laptop. This is your iPad, your camera bodies, flash units, some lenses, etc.

If you're traveling with a decent sized camera bag this is a royal PITA.

I've seen people have to take their tablets out as well for the past few years, at least in NY airports. As for cameras? Meh. That's a case for simplifying your kit and traveling light. I don't think they'll be fussed about my K1000 or Holga, anyway, though maybe it will be easier to get my film hand-inspected now without having to put it through the X-ray.

Now they'll finally catch a terrorist!

Royal PITA until they go lax and you are on the plane getting blown up or crashed. Then you wish......

With a trip coming to Philly coming up, I'll be carrying the laptop for work AND my camera bag with body, lenses, and flash. For the minimal amount of extra time it costs me in the grand scheme of things, meh.

TSA is a jobs program to crafted to hire simple criminals and high school dropouts. nothing more.

it just happens to be under the guise of keeping you safe.

it is wasteful and inefficient and has introduced crime by pairing unsupervised criminals with no skills with your private belongings, like your cameras.

and again, since 2001 and $40 billion dollars later they still have yet to catch a single terrorist; although the TSA agents themselves continue to get arrested daily.

Not to mention how easy it is for auditors to smuggle anything past them.

Last edited:
Meh, I don't fly often enough for it to be a hassle.
Although I wasn't allowed to carry-on my sheep, last time.

A guy I know who works for an airline tells me that the joke is that TSA stands for Thousands Standing Around.

Meh. I had my bag (and camera equipment) inspected by hand at most of the museums I went to in DC when I went with my students this past April. I also got a pat down at almost all of these places. My personal favorite? At the Holocaust Museum, the coffee shop is separate from the rest of the building, and I got patted down to go buy a cup of freaking coffee.

The irony is that I was chaperoning a group of 40 students, and as a teacher, my background check was likely more thorough than anyone working security at any of these places.

If you travel by Amtrak train, there is no TSA .

Amtrak allows - for free - 2 carry-on bags AND 2 personal bags, plus a small cooler if you want to carry such.
Amtrak - Policies - Baggage Policy & Service - Carry-On Baggage
Each passenger may bring 2 personal items, 25 lbs. and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and 2 carry-on items, 50 lbs. and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard.
Amtrak Coach seats have way more pitch than economy class plane seats.

So if you have the time, ride the train.

A guy I know who works for an airline tells me that the joke is that TSA stands for Thousands Standing Around.

They are not rocket scientist, all that is really required is a GED to be one. Though they like you to have some secondary education in criminal sciences. Need a year of previous security work. That's about it. I knew it would get worse as the program when on. First they change from their white uniforms with sewn on patches. To blue police type uniforms with badges now. Latest I heard due to the couple gun shots in airports, and screeners getting hit / killed. They are lining up all their ducks in a row to get sidearms. There was no mandate for them to become police, as all airports are required to have local law enforcement. But that is the way they are going.

Which is why it is nice to be a pre-checked passenger. I don't take anything out, just lay the laptop portion open. Don't have to pull gear out, don't have to take off shoes etc.

It's amazing how simple it is if you just put a little effort into your preparation. We are actually Global Entry cleared, but pre-checked goes with Global Entry.

Thankfully in a couple years time we will all be using cellphones for photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back