Newbie hobbyist seeking some equipment advice.

RGeezus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good day,

I'm a full time traveler who enjoys taking pictures of beautiful things just as a hobby. I find that looking around at other people's photos mine don't seem to have the same pop to them, and I'm just curious if it is an equipment issue, or perhaps the truth might be I just am not that good at taking pictures.

Right now I'm using a Nikon D5300, and to try and limit myself to a single lens I've been using an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR lens. Most of the time I find I am taking pictures of still objects, landscapes. Sometimes far away subjects when in Africa, etc. Very few action shots.

I've been pondering the idea of upgrading my equipment for a while. If I'm being totally honest money is not really an object in this matter. I will spend what I have to, I just want to only spend it one time. Weight is somewhat of a concern for me, so I really need to limit myself to a max of two lenses for when I'm on planes and whatnot. Not sure if I would really see a huge benefit from upgrading the camera body itself though, maybe I should just go for a higher quality lens?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

RG

My advice? SHoot in .NEF mode, and work more on post processing with Lightroom, to get that "Pop!". ALaso, I would spend a few dollars on the new Bryan Peterson book, which destails strategies for making better pictures through better use of the lighting conditions.

The D5300 is a pretty good camera with a fgood sensort of HIGH quality. The equipment is not really the issue that can help much here; if a D5300 cannot cut it, then the issue is the processing of the images, or the types of lighting conditions, and how the camera is used. Not the camera, per se, but the shooting techniques and the processing of the image files.

I do not think the lens or the camera can be effectively bettered all that much by any new lens. If you can, post a few pics for examples. We might be able to tell quite a bit from photo samples.

Thanks Derrel,

I will try and get a couple of pics posted later today. I am currently in northern Siberia just inside of the arctic circle and the internet is terrible, but I'll see if I can get a couple up.

Cheers.

Pretty much every digital photograph will benefit from post process editing, as long as the image file is a Raw file.
NEF is Nikon's Raw file type.
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop (2nd Edition)

Basic global edits would include setting the white point, black point, gray point, and applying a bit of global capture sharpening.
Next would be image Presence adjustments - increasing mid-tone contrast, vibrance, and maybe a little saturation.

After that you would consider local edits that might be desirable on a image by image basis.
A further application of local edge contrast and/or un-sharp mask sharpening might be in order.

Lastly a lot of images benefit from a crop to improve composition.
However, whenever possible do the image composition in the camera viewfinder.
10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad

This shot was processed per above but did not need to be cropped because I composed the shot in the camera viewfinder.
Note that I added a mat using Photoshop.
Note too that I used an older Nikon camera model (D300s) to make the photo.
Oregon Coast.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
If money is no object just get a Hasselblad...

But back to reality,

I have the D3300 which is also a Nikon crop sensor camera and I have found that the 35mm 1.8 lens (one of Nikons cheapest actually) is a great pair for the crop sensor cameras. Its a fast, accurate, well preforming lens that is good for almost all types of shooting. It may be a nice foray into primes for you. When I am traveling this is pretty much the lens I use 95% of the time. If I need more or less in the frame I just move where I am standing. The lens is more than sharp enough and more than fast enough for everything I have ever needed it for.

You already have nice coverage with the 18-300 so you may not need upgrade your tele situation that much. The one thing that may be worth while is a faster tele like this one but if you are doing mostly daytime shooting the one you have will work fine if you want to minimize lens carying.

If you want to upgrade your body I would say that a move to full frame may be nice. If you can wait Nikon may be introducing some new bodies soon (at least some rumors seem to think so). This may mean that current bodies will drop in price and you can get say a nice D750 or D810 for a cheaper price or you can wait and see what they come out with and jump on that boat.

If you are shooting a lot of landscape stuff you may want to look into a nice set of Graduated ND filters, a good tripod and a decent polarizer filter.

Regards
Dave

Yoiur photos look fine, but could use a bit more processing "pizzaz!"

First 18-300mm is not a sharp lens, it ok but nothing more then that.
The Nikon D5300 is an excellent camera, has a top notch sensor so it is not your problem, don't rush to buy an even better camera because you are the problem and not your camera.
First consider getting a better lens.
Next shoot RAW and process your pictures, post processing is super important.
Third if you shoot in AUTO get out of that mode but first learn how to use the 3 modes.
Try to keep ISO as low as you can (fast lenses or tripod)

To get good sharp pics that POP, takes time, its a combination of camera, lens, accessories and MOST important how good the skills of the shooter!!!

Lightroom.

Derrel is right. Searching Derrel here you will learn a lot also. If he pushes you toward Lr, do it. If he says use a light, use a light. If he says your camera and lens are fine, they are. If he says switch to Fuji, do it. Listen to the experts seriously that helps.

You could buy a book and or watch a video. Rinse, repeat. Bryan Peterson as suggested is a great author. Ive been studying his book " Close up photography", awesome stuff.

Photography is hard work. If your not really into it just use your phone. Otherwise, put the work in and keep doing it.

Copycat photos you love. At least try to.

First 18-300mm is not a sharp lens, it ok but nothing more then that.
The Nikon D5300 is an excellent camera, has a top notch sensor so it is not your problem, don't rush to buy an even better camera because you are the problem and not your camera.
First consider getting a better lens.
Next shoot RAW and process your pictures, post processing is super important.
Third if you shoot in AUTO get out of that mode but first learn how to use the 3 modes.
Try to keep ISO as low as you can (fast lenses or tripod)

To get good sharp pics that POP, takes time, its a combination of camera, lens, accessories and MOST important how good the skills of the shooter!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any recommendations for a better lens?

Yoiur photos look fine, but could use a bit more processing "pizzaz!"

Thanks Derrel I appreciate your time. I'll try out Lightroom. Should come in handy next month in Indonesia.

Most reactions

Back